• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A new twist in the forms "submit" button problem

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Through my efforts to add a SUBMIT button to my form, I've become familiar with the problems that can arise when trying to use this function, whether in InD or in Acrobat.  Since I'm primarily working in InDesigh, I'm posting this in the InD forum. Please bear with me as I try to explain how I got to where I am and the problem I'm having now.

• I first just followed instructions about creating a submit button. 
  • The first time I tested the PDF (attempting to email to myself), the submit button brought up a window that offered to let me use either a default mail application OR web mail. My email address was visible also.
  • I chose "default mail application" (I may have the wording inexact re that option).
  • I choose to "continue" but got the error message that some recipients were unresolvable.
  • I at first thought I'd typed my email incorrectly, but that wasn't the case.
  • Naturally, I got online to try to find a solution. Instead I discovered this is a common problem.
  • I went back to my InDesign form and tried a number of things -- different email addresses; typing the "mailto:" in the two different ways (most folks say "mailto:" but one post said to use "mailto://"). Nothing I tried made a difference. I still got the "unresolved recipient" error so many folks have seen.
  • The next time I tried the submit button, I chose "web application," and though it was a few more steps than I hoped, it did work.  For whatever reason at that point, the "default mail application" choice was grayed out, so "web mail" was all I COULD select.
  • Then I read about creating the button in Acrobat instead of InDesign, and I tried that.  I got pretty much the same results, but then I somehow triggered some kind of preference window, and "default mail application" was once again ungrayed and available to choose. (Like a fool) I chose it.
  • With that default changed (and I do think this happened in Acrobat), I tried again to send, and I got the same "unresolved recipient again."
  • Okay, I thought, web mail it is.  Only now, I no longer even get the "choice" window so that I can choose to go back to web mail.  I ONLY get the unresolved recipient error message, and I can find no way to get to that default choice window again.
  • Just as an aside, I have tried deleting the buttons and creating new ones in both InD and Acrobat, but nothing changes. It's like the attributes I chose previously are hanging around and attaching themselves to the new buttons.  Even with brand new buttons, I can't get back to where I have an option to choose web mail again, which I would happily settle for at this point. At least it worked!

Sorry for the long-winded run-down, but I kind of had to think my way through it to explain it. Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

My long-running advice is to forget it. As you already found out, it's wonky as hell even in Acrobat or Reader. Anywhere else, and it's pretty much DOA.

It's obvious the user is going to need to be on a live internet connection so why not create a proper form on your website. This is a far more reliable method of collecting information.

Finally, if you insist on this then I suggest the Acrobat forum because you'll never get what you want using the tools in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My long-running advice is to forget it. As you already found out, it's wonky as hell even in Acrobat or Reader. Anywhere else, and it's pretty much DOA.

It's obvious the user is going to need to be on a live internet connection so why not create a proper form on your website. This is a far more reliable method of collecting information.

Finally, if you insist on this then I suggest the Acrobat forum because you'll never get what you want using the tools in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Bob.  Clearly you are a brave man to have slogged through my long email. 🙂

I like the idea of the form being parked on a web site; however, the form is for a client who wants to handle it via email. But I've explained to the client the problem with the SUBMIT protocols and they are okay with not having it for now, so I think I'll just take your first suggestion and forget it!   (I really do wish I could get back to that one window where I can choose web mail, but I guess something is stuck.) Thanks much for your quick reply. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, except for a few special cases, there is pretty much no reason I can think of for this. If they want them back via email, why do they need a PDF? If they want electronic signatures, try Adobe Sign or Docusign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not involve electronic signatures. This is for a publisher. They have to collect a ton of info from the author. It amounts to several pages. Some (not all) of the authors, while having managed to use Word to write their books, are still technology-challenged. They can handle email and attachments but get tangled up with websites. Also, this info has to be shared among several departments who are not in the same system. It's just a choice that seemed to work best for the moment as this form is introduced. Getting it on a web server a little later on is probably the next step in the plan.

I thank you for your thoughts and opinions and your suggestions.  But what my real question boils down to now is how to get back to that screen where I could choose web mail rather than the default mail application as I may need it in future. I can deal with the rest as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then, my original reply stands. Try the Acrobat forum. 

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I'll try there. Thanks for your attention to my post. Much appreciated. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines