• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ability to scroll box corners

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to Adobe InDesign CC. Right away, I encounter the frustration of a vital feature missing. When I click on a picture to change the corners, I can no longer SCROLL through the options (Fancy, Bevel, etc.). Instead, I have to click on the icon each time and then click on each choice individually! That's 12 clicks instead of one click and one scroll!! Please restore! 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I don't fully understand what you're saying here - can you please provide some screenshot examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had several responses and have since reported the problem as a bug in InDesign for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any difference here from CS6. I'm on Windows 10.

Alt-click the corner effect badge to cycle through the options (which does all four corners at once) or use the Object Menu to go to the Corner Effects dialog where you can choose from a drop-down and do each corner individually or click the chain link to do them all. If you want them the same, Alt-click seems faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desktop / InDesign 16.3 x64: The problem is that I cannot cycle through the options and see/preview the corner options on the box I've selected (same problem with Effects / Blending Modes) unless I click on it. Each time I have to click on the option to see it, then the list closes, and I have to re-open the list and click on another option to see it, then the list closes, etc. That's 12 clicks just to get through the list if I so choose. In earlier versions of InDesign (CS 2, 4, 6) I've always been able to 'scroll' the list with the arrow key(s) to preview the options on the selected box. I can scroll and preview in other CC lists (e.g., fonts) but not the two I've noted here. They are lists I use all the time, so the inability to scroll and preview is frustrating. Given that you are able to scroll, if it's not a bug in InDesign for Windows then what is the fix? I've searched Preferences with no luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I can scroll the list(s), but cannot preview the options in the selected box. I must reopen and reclick each option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your prefs?

Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashing ... That's a little scary! I subscribed and downloaded Adobe CC to a new computer; no earlier version(s) of Adobe CS or CC programs were ever on this computer. So it's pristine. I read through the instructions for resetting preferences, and it provides options I don't have the knowledge to select (simply delete & restart, or protect a back-up copy, and/or delete files ...), fearing a whole new set of problems. I'm going to live with it for now and hope an update might fix it. BTW, I noticed the problem within minutes of opening InDesign for the first time and creating a new document to customize the workspace, control panel, etc. Perhaps another app is causing the problem ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that the two lists I cannot scroll to preview -- Effects and Corner Effects -- are in their own section under the Object Menu. Does this provide a hint of what might be causing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant Effects and Corner Options are in their own section under the Option Menu. Time to call it a day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you really stand to lose with a prefs reset is any changes you made under Edit > Preferences, and your recent files list and the list of queries you've run in the drop-down in Find/Change (any saved queries will still be available). This is the number one trouble-shooting step.

Have you checked the Preview box in the dialog? If not, that's why you don't see the preview.

And have you tried clicking the little yellow square just below the upper right corner? Click to set an effect, then drag the repositioned icon away from the corner to adjust the size of the effect. Alt-click to cycle through the list. If you don't see the little yellow square when an oject is selected, go to View > Extras and turn it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll try prefs reset tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you, Peter, for your attention to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Preferences reset option, but it didn't fix the problem of being able to scroll and preview Corner Options on a selected image box (nor did it fix the same problem with Effects/BlendingMode). Both have been submitted as bugs. That these two features occupy the same separated space in the drop-down Object menu suggests it's an InDesign/Windows problem, though others have reported they have no problem. To be determined!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I fail to see a preview on the corner options is if I use the drop-down field on the Control Panel. It isn't entirely clear to me how you are accessing the feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same problem, whether I'm accessing corner options on the control panel or on the Object menu. I cannot scroll and preview on a selected box. I must re-open corner options each time to select/preview a different option. So it's 12 clicks to see each option rather than one click to open the list and then scroll with the arrow key(s). And it makes no difference whether I access corner options via the control panel or the Object menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a strong suspicion this is some sort of hardware or driver conflict on your system.

I'm curioous if it works if you start up in safe mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode-in-windows-10-92c27cff-db89-8...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problems with Corner Options and Effect / occurred in safe mode. In addition, Eugene Tyson's suggestion -- "Can you insert your cursor in the Opacity box - and then use Shift Tab to cycle to the Effects - and then use the arrow keys to scroll through?" -- which was working, no longer works either. I gather this situation suggests that default settings and/or basic device drivers may be causing the issue.

I do have two older pieces of software installed, which I could remove. But I will wait for your advice. Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed the oldest software; it didn't make any difference. Which settings or drivers should I test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't begin to say without knowing exactly what hardware and software you have, and even then I'd probably need to be seated in your chair to experiment. My gut feeling is it probably is NOT something old.

Common sources of conflict are browsers and browser helpers, but they should not load in safe mode, so...

Take a look in task manager and see if you can identify any running processes that don't seem essential and try turning them off. This is going to be a slog, for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @snooque,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Peter has suggested some great troubleshooting steps. In addition to those, I'd recommend following this community post & let us know if they help with your concern.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no luck, having received mixed messages: simultaneouos scroll & preview for corner options (and effects/blending modes) on a selected box is and is not a bug; is and is not possible; does and does not exist. By 'scroll' I mean using the arrow keys to scroll up and down to preview the options without having to click, reopen, click, reopen, etc. I've asked and searched and tried every suggestion. It seems a very odd feature to go missing. It's still possible to scroll/preview fonts and colours in a selected box, for example, but not corners and blends (which was possible in CS4, CS6). I recently subscribed to CC with a new laptop, so there's no messiness to account for these missing features I often use/need. BTW, I didn't see anything on the community post link about this issue. I did submit it as a bug, and it seems this feature did not make the leap from CS to CC. Thanks for checking in!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, perhaps it was the recent CC update ... Eugene Tyson had earlier suggested I try Shift-Tab to activate the scroll/preview function for Effects. It worked until Peter Spier suggested I open in safe mode to sort out any possible conflicts. After that the shift-tab solution stopped working. TODAY, on a whim, I tried again (I try almost every day). Shift-Tab (on 'Opacity') not only activated scroll/preview for Effects, it also activated the scroll/preview function for Corner Options!! Thank you for everyone's input and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines