• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acumin Variable Concept glyphs missing

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In anticipation of my impending retirement AND the end of Adobe's support of Type 1 fonts, I was delighted to find Acumin Variable Concept with an astonishing 91 variations in Adobe Fonts. Plus, it's almost indistinguishable from the Type 1 font family I've used in a quarterly publication for 16+ years. It was a homerun! And should be the perfect way to hand off my template to the next designer, right?... No expensive typefaces for them to puchase and no Type 1 fonts to deal with, either. 

So I activated Acumin, re-defined dozens of styles, and then discovered the glitch:  several glyphs are missing from Acumin, including  ~  ` ©  ®  ^  _   The missing underscore glyph is the most inconvenient because my client often uses them in URLs.

So far I've just been replacing that one glyph with Arial, but is there another solution? And why in the world are these glyphs missing from Acumin? 

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Do you need to use the Variable font? Can you use Acumin Pro, which has 90 variations and includes the glyphs?

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/acumin#fonts-section

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need to use the Variable font? Can you use Acumin Pro, which has 90 variations and includes the glyphs?

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/acumin#fonts-section

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG Barb! I didn't see that one...just stopped looking when I found the Variable Concept.

You are a lifesaver, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hengwen ,

also ran into this issue once with one of the other "concept" fonts, Myriad Variable Concept. With an InDesign template document one of my colleagues did. I had no access to Adobe Fonts due to university policies. Had to substitute the missing glyphs with some GREP styles using Myriad Pro Regular, the only style that was installed with the machines.

So do not use any "concept" fonts at all. This is unfinished business.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to give you an image what difference we see in the amount of glyphs if we compare Myriad Variable Concept Regular ( black glyphs ) with Myriad Pro Regular ( black and magenta glyphs ) :

MyriadVariableConceptRegular-vs-MyriadProRegular-GLYPHS.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines