Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Mp4 video and exporting it as Interactive PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

Although there were many conversations regarding the videos to be added to InDesign PDF, it seems that I still can't get the result I want. 

What I would like to accomplish here is to import mp4 video (about 2mins long) to InDesign along with many different images and export the PDF which will be sent out to other people who are going to play it on their desktop/laptops. I would like the video to start playing when the page is loaded and keep looping until it goes to the next page. 

Here are the challenges I encounter: 

1. When I export PDF with interactive, the other images appear blurred and low quality. 

2. When the PDF is open in Acrobat and the video is playing upon the page is loaded, I cannot go to the next page by simply clicking the arrow key. It actually shows it's going to the next page on the side slider but the page stays on the video page. I need to right-click on the video and choose "Disable Content" to go to the other page. 

Is there a better way to export and play without losing the quality of other images etc? Thank you for your help! 

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't work instead, include a link in your PDF to an external source, such as a Youtube video. Alternatively, use InDesign's Publish Online facility or possibly a FXL ePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, 

Thank you for the tip! I will try that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Movie support in PDF needs Flash. In Acrobat 9 and 10 Flash was included. But Adobe has stopped the use of Flash anywhere. Therefore movies are not supported in any PDF. Use alinkto an external source and do not expect to view movies in Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi, 

Thank you! It's good to know we cannot view videos in Acrobat anymore. I will see what else I can do to get the result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: not true. PDF can use Apple's QuickTime etc. if you set the preferences correct. I said that  many, many times over now. BUT as this is a User Preference you can not be certain your readers set this preference, so I would advice against it.

But Acrobat can and will still play mp4's with the correct preference, so the 'needs Flash' is absolutely not true. Just saying (again) 😉

https://fvdgeest-dtp.blogspot.com/2020/06/interactive-pdf-en-video-en-geluid-na.html

(Dutch)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans, 

Okay, it's getting complicated!! but I will make sure to check the link as well. Thank you for your advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But as you can't normally control the end-users' Acrobat reader, it's not recommended. It's much safer to include a hyperlink in your PDF to an external source such as a Youtube video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed. That is what I said: it is a user preference, so no guarantee...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines