• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe image place in InDesign not generating correctly when exported to PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird thing happening. An illustrator graphic placed into InDesign is correct in Illustrator and InDesign, but when it is exported to PDF (also as a postscript file) it is not the most current iteration of the image.

Things tried:

- Saved the image with a different name and relinked to it

- Moved all files off of the Google Drive and did everything from the Mac Desktop

- Tried on a Mac with Ventura (most updated desktop Adobe products)

- Tried on a Mac with Big Sur (most updated desktop Adobe products)

- Illustrator image saved then placed in InDesign as an EPS

- Illustrator image left as .ai then placed in InDesign

Image in Illustrator (no hidden layers):

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 2.05.16 PM.png

Image in InDesign Document:

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.52.09 PM.png

Image in postscript file:

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.54.36 PM.png

Image in exported from InDesign PDF:

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.56.02 PM.png

Both postscript and PDF do not have any blue in them as was updated in the file.

Has anyone experienced this? If yes, what did you do to resolve? Not sure which Adobe application is having the issue, so starting post in app where the issue first arose. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

When you create a new InDesign file and then place the correct AI file in it and then export that. Does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this has nothing to do with Acrobat, and definitely is not a PDF file format problem.

The file is probably an Illustrator file that has been edited outside of Illustrator, so that the embedded PDF and the Illustrator data do not correspond any more. To check that, open the file in Acrobat (Adobe Acrobat can open an Illustrator file like a PDF file, if there is an embedded PDF preview) and open the same file in Illustrator. Are they the same?

Nb: I moved this from the Acrobat forum to the Illustrator forum, as it is probably an Illustrator issue.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for moving to this forum and for the insight.

In Acrobat, I opened (had to select 'all files' so I could select the .ai file) it opened as it appears in Illustrator. I does convert to a PDF when it opens, which I assume is accurate, it looks correct, just like in the Illustrator document:

.ai file opened in Acrobat: 

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 3.23.00 PM.png

Illustrator (with all elements selected):

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 4.01.55 PM.png

It looks correct when placed in InDesign as well.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.52.09 PM.png

It is only when you export from InDesign to PDF that it is incorrect.

Screen Shot 2023-05-03 at 1.56.02 PM.png

Curious, in what way could the file be edited outside of Illustrator? That isn't something we would probably do intentionally. My only thought was a blip when it was saving on the google drive?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious, in what way could the file be edited outside of Illustrator? That isn't something we would probably do intentionally. My only thought was a blip when it was saving on the google drive?

Thanks.

By @cdesignboston

Could be edited in Acrobat. Or a different editor for PDF.

Thank you for moving to this forum and for the insight.

By @cdesignboston

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was definitely not intentionally changed outside of illustrator. I'm thinking it was a weird sync issue at this point. Thank you so much for clarifying though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the blue bar in Illy and do a screen shot with transparency, color, attributes and apperance panels open, and post it here...

Also, if you open the original pdf in Acrobat (i.e. BEFORE you made any edits), go to Properties (Edit Menu, ctrl-D on PC) below the Description panel there's Advanced - what does PDF Producer say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 4.17.10 PM.png

PDF producer is Adobe PDF Library 17.0

This was in a different location that referenced above because I'm on a Mac. 

Thanks, in advance for any ideas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...

Ok, so what happens if you select all, copy, and place into a new doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a new InDesign file and then place the correct AI file in it and then export that. Does it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebuilt the page image from scratch in InDesign with the background photo, the multiplied gray box and the .ai image. And it worked! So apparently it was an InDesign file issue. The good new is you helped test it with something we didn't think of. The bad news is, because this was a multi page magazine, we would not have rebuilt the entire thing from scratch. Probably some sort of ID bug. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good you could solve it. But I'm sorry you had to rebuild it.

Maybe the people over in the InDesign forum have some more insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if someone could move this whole post over to the InDesign Forum!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if someone could move this whole post over to the InDesign Forum!

By @cdesignboston

Moved to the InDesign Forum. 🙃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will help. Try saving the INDD file as an IDML, reopen the file and save it as a new INDD file. Sometimes this removes bugs. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, that would have been a great solution! Unfortunately I just tried it and whatever this bug is, it didn't take care of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Never usd EPS in modern times, avoid it.
  2. When you place an Illustrator image save it as AI or PDF/X-4 and place it as linked file.
  3. Take care on you color management. If you use CMYK graphics work without color profile in the AI file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Willi. Yes it was weird. It was .ai. Then because of what happened, I think it .eps was attempted. Neither made a difference, but I agree, sticking with .ai is much better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines