• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe InDesign TOC not populating

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried numerous times to create a Table of Contents. I have defined Paragraph Styles, and selected these to populate the TOC but the only thing appearing is the title. I have made sure that there are no overrides in these styles but to no avail. Please help as I have now spent hours on this trying to figure out how to get it to work. Thank you!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Try a complete do-over — create a few temporary styles and enter a few lines of text with them, then create a completely new TOC 'style' using just those. It should show whether the problem is with your specific setup and styles, or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible some combination of breaks and spacing is keeping the text from being visible in the TOC, although you seem to have it set up right.

Try this: Delete any existing TOC frame. Generate an updated TOC. Drag the new TOC frame into place on its page. Now... is there an overset text marker (red plus sign) at the bottom right of the frame? If so, your TOC entries are pushing off to 'next frames' that don't exist. Hit Ctrl-A in the TOC and apply any base style to see if that makes them appear.

You should not be using [Basic Paragraph] as an active style, by the way. As nonsensical as it sounds, it's a style that should be avoided. Your first styles should be based on [No Paragraph Style], and then you can create style hierarchies from those. I suspect there's a page break or a keep-with setting that's been applied to [Basic Paragraph] that's at the root of all this.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James. I tried all suggestions with no luck. There is no overset text, no red plus sign marker, but just to be certain, I enlarged the new TOC frame beyond the page to see if anything appeared and there was nothing. I also reset the header within the TOC window to No Paragraph Style (thanks for that tip btw) with no luck. I then deleted the Header style altogether, recreated it, and tried again. Still no luck. I looked further into the style options panel, and nothing there in terms of any type of breaks. I am at a loss...ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, I don't see anything wrong with your setup other than the minor points above. Do you have a version of document you can upload here? Sometimes it's a glitch that can only be found by looking at all the details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to ask, are you certain the paragraph style you defined in the TOC is the same style applied within text?

Another thing you can try is save/export IDML, open the idml file and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, am certain the styles match, and I did try saving/exporting IDML and using that file with the same result. If you have any other thoughts, that'd be very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As James requested, please post your document. The only way to figure out what's going wrong is to try and generate the TOC ad see what happens, and check the document's styles.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. The document is for a client and until it's approved I cannot post it. I'll see if I can sort it out. I appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a complete do-over — create a few temporary styles and enter a few lines of text with them, then create a completely new TOC 'style' using just those. It should show whether the problem is with your specific setup and styles, or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll give that a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines