• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advanced typography help

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a font from MyFont that wasn't available on Adobes Typekit, and installed it with Skyfonts, but when I try to use the font in Adobe InDesign none of the advanced typography features are available. Could someone please help me with this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Select a character and hover over the top of that character with your Type tool. If there are alternates, they will pop up to the lower right of the character and you can click on the alternate to apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't indicate what particular font you licensed. Not all fonts have advanced OpenType features that can be taken advantage of by InDesign, Illustrator, etc. Let us know exact what font you have!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact font I purchased was Lush Script. Here is the link to the MyFonts site with it. Lush Script™ - Webfont & Desktop font « MyFonts

When I was testing it, I clicked the FF button on the right to see what other typography it had, and I really liked the Sylistic Alternates. When I was purchasing it, there was no selection for which variant of the font I wanted, so I presumed all of the advanced typography's were included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a character and hover over the top of that character with your Type tool. If there are alternates, they will pop up to the lower right of the character and you can click on the alternate to apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lush | Typekit

First hit doing a Google search. Tis the same font, yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I didn't know how to check the OpenType options, I thought this font on Adobes Typekit was just the regular version of it, and I wanted to use the alternative typeset. I uninstalled the one I bought from MyFonts and re-synced the Adobe one, only to find out that it does support the alternative styles. Now I'm worried I'm screwed, because I just paid $170 for licensing on a font I already had... Somehow I doubt MyFonts will refund me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RE MyFonts. They may well refuse the refund.

Explain the issue clearly to MF and await an answer. I would also CC Ben (?) at Typekit to get them involved in the process.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, in this case it is the opposite. Adobe Illustrator does support Stylistic Alternates, but InDesign (still) does not. It is a weird omission, without any real clear reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dov suggested, not all OpenType typefaces have ALL of the OpenType features available.

To see what is available using a particular typeface:

1. set some type in the typeface you'd like to use and select that text.
  2. look under the Options menu of the Character panel and look under the OpenType listing submenu
  3. only the OpenType features that are NOT in brackets [  ] are available in that typeface

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff+Witchel%2C+ACI  wrote

... only the OpenType features that are NOT in brackets [  ] are available in that typeface

The feature OP is looking for, "Stylistic Alternates", is NOT in that list. Look:

Untitled.png

It is available as a full, standard option in Illustrator – it even has a dedicated icon:

Capture.PNG

Of course OP can always manually select ("hunt-and-pick" or via the "Show:" selection dropdown in the Glyph list), but this must be done on a per-character basis. That's not how all of the properly supported OpenType features work.

This means that the feature cannot be enabled/disabled on a global basis, and neither can it be switched on and off with a style.

Adobe's OpenType User Guide (https://image.linotype.com/files/pdf/02_help/images/help_03/OTGuide.pdf ) lists stylistic alternates under the heading "Advanced Typography with OpenType Pro fonts":

> ... Many non-standard glyphs, such as oldstyle figures, true small capitals, fractions, swashes, superiors, inferiors, ornaments, titling letters, contextual and stylistic alternates, beginning and ending letterforms and a full range of ligatures may also be included in a single font ...

Even more, the same guide recommends to not use InDesign's Glyphs panel to willy-nilly pick and choose an alternate, but use the proper tools:

> Note: Adobe advises selecting alternate glyphs by applying formatting or by “fi ltering” the glyph palette, when possible, rather than using an alternate glyph from the flyout. These methods yield more consistent results when changing fonts.

(and they are right to warn thus).

Scroll to the bottom of  ilovetypography's Introduction to Opentype Features ( Features ) for a rather sobering overview:

"Stylistic Alternates" is supported by Photoshop and Illustrator at least since CS, but not by InDesign 1, 2, CS, CS2/3/4/5, nor by the not-listed newer versions of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there are other valuable OT Features not supported in ID...*

Although by default it is an all or nothing affair, the Stylistic Set 1 has all the same alternates as does the salt feature (plus 3 more, actually). As a work-around in this particular font, one could highlight the desired character and use ss01 for the substitution.

* I have had to replicate various OT Features into stylistic sets in my own fonts in order to use them in ID (e.g., the hist feature). It's a pita.

As AD has excellent OT Feature support, when APub is released, it too will have such excellent OT Feature support even though it will be a version 1 product. (But it will, of course, be lacking in many other more important ways as regards a layout application.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus Adobe, you really drop the ball on pro features so often. I'm not even surprised anymore, just disappointed. No support for Stylistic Alternates in Indesign but you do support it in Photoshop?? Completely nonsensicle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the InDesign forum – please note you are not addressing Adobe on here, it's a peer-to-peer support forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it particularly funny that you posted this attack, because I can see that you are replying to a six-year-old post. Did you know this? Also, did you know that in the intervening years, the Stylistic Alternate feature has been added to InDesign? 

thinkbefore.gif

May I humbly suggest that you do your research before you post? But I didn't know that the feature had been added, so thanks for pointing me in this direction, I guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines