Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice about hardware compatibility - video card

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I plan to replace a very old workstation (equipped with a NVidia Qadro k600) with a laptop. I have seen some models, all of them have:

- 32Gb RAM

- 1Tb SSD

- i7 processor (12th gen)

- Videocard... I have some doubts about this... does anyone knows if there are known problems with these models? NVIDIA Quadro T1200 4Gb, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 4GB, NVIDIA RTX A2000 8Gb, NVIDIA RTX A1000 4 Gb

Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are doing video editing I doubt you will notice much difference between video cards. My laptop (a gaming machine I use for graphics) looks to have pretty similar specs with a NVidia GeForce 1660 Ti card with 6Gb. The only glitch I ever see is an occasional transient blank screen on the external monitor, and I hve no idea if that's the video card or Windows causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. Pretty much "any good video card" that isn't something like Intel motherboard graphics. InDesign is not demanding since it does very little active video, rendering, etc. compared to the video apps or even Photoshop.

I was still running a 1050Ti (Nvidia's mighty mouse card) until the middle of this year; replaced it only because it was a little overwhelmed — emphasis on little — with a new 4K+5K monitor combo.

It's the "laptop" part that bothers me. I feel like to many people buy them by default when the portability isn't needed, and thus pay too much for crappy ergonomonics and almost zero repairability and upgrade. But maybe that's just me.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I forgot to say that he uses Photoshop too.

The choice of laptop is due to the fact that the employee sometime works at home. Until now he connected to workstation through a VPN, using another pc.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You/he'll definitely want a mid-range Nvidia or equivalent card for all but the simplest Photoshop use. It's video that really demands power, though; a more modest card will just take a few seconds with any complex render or transformation in PS.

Yes, I have a 'work' laptop here for one of my clients. I can only use it by docking it into my full-size console. I get aches all over watching people use them, at table height, hunched over in a bad chair... and that's for office/text use.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your opinions

Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get AS MUCH RAM as you can 🙂

And rather forget about "online" remote working - latest version of InDesign - CC 22023 / V18 - is extremely fussy about the access time / lag to files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I hope that 32Gb will be enough! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only 32gb? 😄 😄

Desktop workstation, not laptop:

IMG_20211021_223349~2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For hardware comparisons and specs, see https://www.tomshardware.com/  Been using them for decades, back in the day when my shop built custom workstations for digital media.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines