• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alert is shown on opening documents in InDesign 19.4. - This file is already open by another

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour j'arrive plus à ouvrir certain fichiers Indesign depuis que j'ai installé Sonoma sur mon MacBook. Quand j'ouvre des indesign avec lien bibliothèque j'ai un message du type : ": le fichier est deja ouvert par un utilisateur ou utilis& par un autre..." alors que c'est un Indesign fait par moi et non partagé (j'ai juste des liaison bibliothèque) 

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

I believe this is a known issue with 19.4. Adobe is aware of it but you should roll back to 19.3 in the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Hi @Han Maximus,

Thank you for reaching out. As rightly informed by our expert, this is a known issue and the team is working on it on priority.

Please upvote this uservoice page: https://adobe.ly/3QVBsZs to add your voice and vote for better visibility.

For now, please try the workaround below to unblock yourself and let us know if that helps.

Workaround: Use ID 19.3 or Open the file in the previous version, resave it, and then open it in ID 19.4.  

Please stay tuned to the uservoice page

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Adobe also has just acknowledges this issue in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/this-file-is-already-open-by-another-user-i-am-t...

Try to revert to InDesign 19.3 - I think it helped some users, you can do this from Creative Cloud app:

leor_0-1715806190343.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our organization recently renewed our Adobe CC account and for what ever reason (they got it from a different vendor or they didn't renew before the old one expired) they had to create new profiles for us.  Ever since then when I try open an InDesign file I get the popup below.  I've tried signing out of Adobe CC and back in, uninstalling InDesign and reinstalling it, restarting my pc, etc.  From some research it might be related to the fact that we use SharePoint and OneDrive (I work for the State of Ohio) and the software thinks other people on the network can access my files (they can't).  We've been on Sharepoint for at least 4 years and I never had this problem, so I don't think that is it.   It doesn't appear to happen with any other apps, just InDesign.  Thanks in advance for your help.  

Screenshot 2024-05-21 161714.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been threads recently with exactly the same problem. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/alert-is-shown-on-opening-documents-in-indesign-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ended up on the phone with Adobe support and it turns out that InDesign v. 19.4 has a bug that causes the issue.  We rolled my version back to 19.3 and it fixed the problem. Supposedly the bug will be fixed in version 19.5. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am writing a book and when I went to reopen it, I get a error message saying that I may not have permission to open it (never locked it or whatever) or it is already open which it isn't. Any ideas on what is going on? Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using InDesign 19.4, then try to revert to 19.3:

leor_0-1716152665449.png

Adobe acknowledged the issue in 19.4 that sounds like the one you describe:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/this-file-is-already-open-by-another-user-i-am-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also encountered this error on some InDesign files when opening them (not all, I don't know why) and after several attempts I tried to open them with InDesign 2023 and save them again and the problem no longer appears. Could it be a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Claudia Moragas,

It's great to hear that you found a workaround for the issue you encountered with opening certain InDesign files. It's possible that the problem was related to the login profile you were using. Sometimes, when logged in with a different profile or using the wrong login method, it can lead to errors like the one you described. You might have resolved the issue by logging in with the correct profile or using the appropriate login method on the sign-in page.

If you encounter any further difficulties or have any questions, please feel free to reach out. We're here to help!

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same issue and have installed INDD v19.3 which it opens up in and no error so I tried saving a new file, reinstalling 19.4, opening the new saved file and the error still occurs? Is there a bug fix in 19.4 for this as not really looking forward to relaying the whole document again, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same issue and have installed INDD v19.3 which it opens up in and no error so I tried saving a new file, reinstalling 19.4, opening the new saved file and the error still occurs? Is there a bug fix in 19.4 for this as not really looking forward to relaying the whole document again, please.

By @Connie29594703e80u

Yes, it's a bug in 19.4. Acknowledged by Adobe here (there's also a link to the bug report you can vote on):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone having issues opening files in 19.4? The only solution I have found (which is a bandaid at best) is to uninstall 19.4 and reinstall 19.3. I am hoping someone can indicate weather this is a cloud based / adobe side issue or is this a issue with personal hardware/drivers (example: windows 10 vs windows 11)? Has anyone found a permanent solution that doesn't require using depreciating versions of ID? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this known bug in 19.4 (although I think it has only been reported on Mac so far):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/alert-is-shown-on-opening-documents-in-indesign-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_6987.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, while your post can be translated by the system here (which does a very good job) the image of the error message cannot. There are some German speaking users here who can likely help, though.

An image translation shows this to be a fairly common problem, but you will need to specify what platform you are using, which OS and what version of InDesign. It is usually related to network permission issues (most commonly on Mac), but may be as simple as a leftover lock file (*.idlk) that was not deleted when the file was last closed.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for your quick message.. the error message says" that the file can't be used bescause another user or application has opend it" ...and i am working with adobe illustrator latest version (mac os 14.5) ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for your quick message.. the error message says" that the file can't be used bescause another user or application has opend it" ...and i am working with adobe illustrator latest version (mac os 14.5) ..

By @Julia37666636ebzo

Known issue in InDesign 19.4:

In short: downgrade to 19.3 for the time being (you can do this from the Creative Cloud app).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entweder ist das selbe Dokument von einem anderen Computer geöffnet oder, was häufig passiert, die Lock-Dateien, die neben geöffneten Dateien erscheinen, nicht gelöscht worden. Das passiert unter anderem bei Abstürzen. Schau nach, ob neben Deinen INDD-Dateien LCK Dateien sind. Lösche diese.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This keeps happening to me too. We work with GDrive and OneDrive - had no problems until this update. Even when I go as far as copying a version to desktop, renaming the files, flipping INDD to IDML, and even disconnecting the internet it still will tell me someone has a copy open on the network *facepalm*. Being a remote publisher - this is a terrifying thing to have happen and gridlock several designs.

Just installed 19.3 version - Opened right up no issues. The file needed 4 relinks via CC Library which could be where the coding in 19.4 is bugging out - something to do with relink vetting with a CC Library is triggering the "open by another user" issue *hint hint wink wink at Adobe* - Now to go share this as a work around with the crew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how  could this version come to releae. i takes me hours to find the reason!
networkstorage checke, rights check, adobe indesing setting reset and reconfiguration....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but the strange think is, not all files are affected!
Bildschirmfoto 2024-07-01 um 08.42.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthias.G.ermany said: "…but the strange think is, not all files are affected!"

Well Matthias,

recently I had the same issue with InDesign 19.4 or 19.5 on macOS when I tried to open InDesign documents on our file server with a very unstable WLAN connection; perhaps a bandwidth issue…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthias.G.ermany said: "…but the strange think is, not all files are affected!"

Well Matthias,

recently I had the same issue with InDesign 19.4 or 19.5 on macOS when I tried to open InDesign documents on our file server with a very unstable WLAN connection; perhaps a bandwidth issue…

By @Laubender

InDesign is EXTREMELY sensitive to the network speed - or rather latency / "lag".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I have same issue with version 19.5 and monterey on 4 Imacs. It's affect only indesign files on a network share on a Qnap.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines