• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aligning strokes used to be easy

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has it become hard to align strokes on its center and not include the stroke weight when positioning boxes with stroke?

When I want a box with a 1 point stroke on X0 Y0 coordinates of the page it does not get positioned on X0,Y0 but on half a point (0.176 mm) as ID doesn't include the stroke weight.

Can I make it work like Illustrator again where objects are aligned on the center of strokes?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the alignment of the stroke - outside, center or inside? 

InDesign includes stroke - so if it's other then "inside" - stroke's width - or its half - will be included. It was always like that ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Center, the type I use most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the control panel, go to the dropdown menu (at the very right) and check if this option is ticked

Capture d’écran 2023-01-08 à 14.51.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this indeed solves the problem partially. With this unchecked now the center of the stroke is at X0,Y0, likt in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any differnce between InDesign and Illustator when measuring a 2" x 1" rectangle aligned in the same way to the ruler. Both rectangles are using a 1 pt stroke, aligned to the center of the path. I'm using the Transform panel in each application to show the X, Y and dimensions.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 10.45.20 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 10.45.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this hasn't always been like this. It was easier to align strokes in InDesign CS. A while ago anyway. I guess somewhere down the line Adobe decided to make it harder? I don'n know why but for me they can revert to the previous way of working with strokes. And why make it different than the stroke system in Illustrator anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know of no changes in the way strokes are aligned in InDesign. You haven't shown us how it's any harder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another example, this is done in Illustrator very easily, and I'm sure this was doable in InDesign by dragging boxes and strokes on top of each other, they snapped in place.

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 22.56.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an illustration of the problem, in InDesign strokes are not aligned on their centers, in Illustrator they are.

In InDesign it became nearly impossble to align boxes on the center of the stroke, not by the Align panel, nor by dragging with Smart Guides (cmd-U) turned on. It just won't work.

InDesign

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 22.25.30.png

Illustrator 

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 22.31.05.png

How do I get this back in InDesign? How can I make stroke centers snap again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Work with Object Styles.
  2. In the beginning, for alignment purposes use stroke = 0pt
  3. Do the alignments
  4. Change the stroke to its finals size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, a cumbersome workaround but might work. Why isn't it possible anymore to align strokes on their centers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still can do it, but only in closed paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And without strokes. So how.. do I make my designs without strokes and the apply them later? Snap the boxes together and then apply strokes? To me that's not a nice way to work. InDesign has worked differently and I wonder why they changed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do I get this back in InDesign? How can I make stroke centers snap again?"

Hi @DrDoctor ,

you could use the Alignment panel to do that if the strokes are at center position.

Check the Use Spacing option and use a negative value:

- ( stroke weight object A / 2 + stroke weight object B / 2 )

From my German InDesign:

AlignmentPanel-1.PNG

Result:

AlignmentPanel-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks for this workaround! Shouldn't have to be like this though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @DrDoctor ,

I agree…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines