• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All of a Sudden Can't Access "Character Window" to change a font, leading or kerning

Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running InDesign 18.2.1

Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1

I haven't updated anything and it was working fine earlier today. Then I went back into InDesign and All of a Sudden Can't Access "Character Window" to change a font, leading or kerning. Please see screenshot below which shows no ability to anything in the "Character Window". I have restarted both InDesign and my Mac and still same issue. Please help...

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

If resetting preferences doesn't work you may need to uninstall/reinstall with Adobe CC Cleaner tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try resetting preferences:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo... 

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting preferences doesn't work you may need to uninstall/reinstall with Adobe CC Cleaner tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure? It looks like you can scroll down in your properties panel and the character panel should be there under the appearance section. I can see th scroll bar... 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @LisaLa:

FWIW, I'm on the same versions (InDesign 18.2.1/Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1) and this morning I was suddenly unable to use keyboard shortcuts or more critically, press Delete to edit a typo. Like you, I restarted InDesign and then I restarted my Mac to no avail. I ended up having to reset my preferences, as advised. That took care of it. I'm a longtime InDesign user, and regularly reset preferences before I teach an InDesign class, so this took me by surprise because normally it takes a while to develop corrupt preferences.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines