• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All text variables replaced by "ss" text In InDesign 2020 (15.1)- Fixed in 15.1.1

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with about 350 pages. I numbered the pages fine. I finished working and closed InDesign. In CC InDesign made some updates. Now when I insert "current page number", InDesign types in the letters "SS" which are not appropriate for my A Master. What's going on?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Hi all,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update InDesign to v15.1.1 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/40675342-id-2020-15-1-all-text-variables-including-page

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We are investigating the issue and working on a fix for it.

In the interim, you can try changing the composer from World Ready composer to a different one."

-- InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yahoor21035672,

this is a known bug with InDesign 15.1.0.25.

All text variables, also Current Page Number or footnote numbers, show "ss" in every instance.

Caused by the following paragraph composers:

Adobe World-Ready Single-line Composer
Adobe World-Ready Composer

Currently the only known workaround is to use one of the following paragraph composers:

Adobe Single-line Composer
Adobe Paragraph Composer
Adobe Japanese Single-line Composer
Adobe Japanese Paragraph Compose

If you do text composition with Hebrew or Arabic then this is no option at all.

In that case revert back to InDesign 15.0.3 until the issue is fixed.

Vote for fixing the bug here:

ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

I just updated to the brand new verson of Indesign (15.1, Catalina).

Now all my documents display "ss" instead of the current page.

Any clues?

Or did Adobe do it it again.....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This issue has been reported by a few other users as well. Please upvote this issue here (https://bit.ly/3d5xer9) and please select Adobe Paragraph Composer instead of Adobe World-Ready Paragraph Composer(https://adobe.ly/3hCCSEH). Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure not as sorry as I am.

I have a deadline to get a large book out tonight.

This will no longer happen, because I have no page numbers.

Changing composers will not help me because it's a Hebrew-English document and will get even more messed up.

Thanks again Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know it now: You shouldn't do an update when you're up against a major deadline!

But you can reinstall the previous version of InDesign: Open the CC desktop app. Click on the tile for InDesign v 15.1. Click the ... (ellipsis). Choose Other Version. From the menu install the previous version (15.0.3) which didn't have the bug. Jf you don't have a version saved in the previous version, save as IDML and reopen in 15.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course, saving as IDML runs the risk of making stuff reflow.....

Never an update without a bug.

I also had to reinstall photoshop beause the update caused a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why we have to vote to fix this. We certainly didnt vote to have it broken. If there arent enough votes it wont be fixed? How many votes are required?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just vote.

We have no idea how many votes Adobe's honchos need in order to make the decision to fix a bug they created. Could be 10 votes. Could be 10,000 votes.

But the advice above is solid: never update any software (Apple, Microsoft, Adobe) when you're on deadline. And UNcheck the option in your Creative Cloud manager to automatically update your apps. YOU choose when to update, not Adobe.

I know I know. WHEN are designers NEVER on a deadline?!!!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ArtScrollCreative said:

"Not sure why we have to vote to fix this. We certainly didnt vote to have it broken. If there arent enough votes it wont be fixed? How many votes are required?"

Certainly enough votes are gathered for fixing this bug, I think. Currently the count is at 80 votes.

But voting or commenting to the report has another important effect: If there is a fix on the horizon, perhaps at Prerelease, you automatically get an E-Mail notification if one of the developers does an announcement there.

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. i have the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The InDesign development team is very well aware of the problem and is testing a fix.

As soon as they can verify that the fix works (and doesn't break anything else), a software update will be issued as soon as possible.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master Page Numbering error (ss)Master Page Numbering error (ss)Hi,

I have opened my Indesign file just now which I did Before. All page numbers turned to (ss) as in this screenshot of A Master Page. All pages numbers now shown as (ss)!!
I tried it in new document. It also showing this Error. All other files did the same.
How to solve this Issue?? Please Help some one

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
This is a know bug with the latest version of InDesign for text that uses the Word Ready composer. If you can change the composer to something other than this and it should fix it. See the following discussion for more details
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/all-text-variables-replaced-by-quot-ss-quot-text-in-indesign...

A bug has been logged for this and you can monitor the latest update at the following link

If you don't have an option to change the composer than its better you rollback the version of your InDesign.
Update:- The fix for the bug is out in beta builds, so hopefully a fix should be out soon enough, see the link above for more details.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for your valuable reply.

I tried to change paragraph composer to Adobe Paragraph composer & Single-Line Composer. Now it’s working in Enlglish Language.

Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Screen Shot 7512-10-14 at 8.47.49 AM.png

Only before proceeding to final print, all page numbers turend to (ss) as in this screenshot of A Master Page. All pages numbers now shown as (ss)!!

Now, after re-numbering, I gote the same problem.

All other files did the same including new documents.

How to solve this Issue??

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/all-text-variables-replaced-by-quot-ss-quot-text-in-indesign... - known bug.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/40675342 - do your voice here.

Soon it will be ready update with fix.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THe bug appears only if one of the World Composer is used. YOu don't need the World Composer for pagination. Go the paragraph settings of the Page Number, in the section Justification change the composer to any other than World Composer.

If you don't need ther world composer in normal text make the changes there too.

The World Composers is only needed if you use text in any language wich is not normal Left-To-Right. Only if you use text in those languages you have to use the World Composer, use the normal Adobe Paragraph Composer Or Adobe Composer instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened a yearlong InDesign book project with hundreds of endnotes and saw the following: Suddenly all the endnote reference numbers in the text section are displayed as "ss", although previously they had real numbers. The connection to the endnote section still works, though. And interestingly, the numbers in the endnote section are still properly displayed. I have no idea what could have changed this display. I just made an update to the latest InDesign version. Could that be the reason? What can I do to revert this rather disturbing display of endnote refrerence numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is a know bug with the latest version of InDesign for text that uses the Word Ready composer. If you can change the composer to something other than this and it should fix it. See the following discussion for more details

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/all-text-variables-replaced-by-quot-ss-quot-text-in-indesign...

A bug has been opened for this and you can monitor the latest update at the following link

If you don't have an option to change the composer than its better you rollback the version of your InDesign.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We are investigating the issue and working on a fix for it.

In the interim, you can try changing the composer from World Ready composer to a different one."

--InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked fine.

I have a similar problem. When I started some book projects several years ago, I used the plugin Indic Plus (at that time I had some texts with Arabic). However, all files from that time now ask for this plugin which I do not have anymore, neither do I need it. Is there a way to uninstall this "Indic Plus" plugin? Every time I open such a file, there is a warning, plus, which is even more annoying, I cannot generate a package including fonts and pictures anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI There,

I was one of the developers of IndicPlus(i fixed this issue in later version of the plugin, but unfortunately you seem to have used an earlier version). In order to remove the plugin information from your files export the file as IDML and then save it as INDD. If you see any layout changes due to IDML export you can use one of my plugins to clear the plugin information. You can download the 7 day free demo from the following link

https://github.com/Manan-Joshi/inexutils

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines