Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt+Scroll not working for zoom | Win10 InDesign 17.0

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

haven't used InDesign for a few years but the internet isn't helping. I've just installed from scratch and scrolling via Alt + Mouse Wheel Scroll is not working for zooming.

However, AltGr + Scroll is working. Other shortcuts which involve Alt seem to be working without issue; Windows shows both Alt and AltGr being pressed when pressing one of them in on-screen keyboard (which is intended behaviour).

Has anybody else encountered this?

Cheers

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no. Alt + scrolling the mouse wheel to zoom in and out is still working with InDesign 2022, PhotoShop 2022 and Illustrator 2022 on my Windows 10 machine. Acrobat is the exception where Ctrl + scrolling the mouse wheel is required…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The zooming function per se does work, but only for AltGr+Scroll, that is using the Alt key on the right side of the space bar. I'm not questioning that the functionality is there, I just for some reason can't access it through the normal Alt key, although they key does indeed work in all situations and for all other shortcuts (including in InDesign).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Win10 virtual machine which is used only for tasks I can't run on Linux; it is fairly virgin. The issue occurs on a fresh boot, on a clean and virgin install of the latest InDesign with no plugins installed and with no other applications running. There are no settings to reset, no plugins to remove; it occurs on old files as well as newly created ones.

Thanks for the link, it does contain a lot of helpful information, but I'm afraid it didn't help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Will it work with PhotoShop 2022 or Illustrator 2022?

Just to rule out an issue that is unique to InDesign…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop first would not start due to this error, which was quickly fixed, then behaviour is exactly as described for InDesign.

Behaviour on Illustrator is exactly as described for InDesign.

Behaviour on all three applications remains unchanged post-Photoshop-fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright. But that means something "global" has changed. Nothing you could fix with InDesign alone.

Sorry, I cannot tell more.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found a solution to this, but I've figured out that the problem is very likely down to the fact that my window manager on the Linux side (i3wm) captures the left Alt key, which is used there as a modifier, before handing it on to Windows, and on the Windows side that causes issues in some cases. Everything else still works, and I now use the AltGr to zoom in the VM - not ideal, but liveable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try Alt + Space and scrolling? I had a same issue with my Indd 2022, but figured that if I Alt+Space and scroll, it seems to work. Try it and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. this has solved the problem for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines