Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative to Publish Online with InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, 

I'm trying to publish an interactive document online, and while I see that there is a 'publish online' feature  the document contains confidential information that cannot be hosted by a non secure server (like Adobe's cloud) and needs to be stored internally (on our company server). 

So my question is, is there a way that I can create an Interactive document with InDesign and publish online without storing it on an Adobe server? 

I'm pretty new to all of this and have very limited HTML/coding knowledge so was looking for an alternative that is as easy as hitting 'publish online'. I've into looked exporting an ePub from InDesign CC 2020, but can't seem to find a viewer that I can embed to into a website (the one I did find only seemed to only deal with static images), also when I try exporting to HTML none of the animations work and all of the objects stack on top of one another (this could be due to my limited knowledge). 

I've spent a while searching the web and haven't come up with any real answers as of yet. 

Thanks in advance!

Iain

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, this might be just the ticket. I'll investigate some more! Cheers Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have found a alternative ? Now the price is verry big (360$/Y) .. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free alternative is to use the HTML5 export script here:

http://www.gilbertconsulting.com/scripts

A bit of CSS cleanup is required to hide content flowing out of the container (overflow:hidden) and a margin: 0 auto; to center it on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had seen it when I was looking for last year, I had looked very quickly and it did not work, after I found in5, but there I will download again to see if it can work for me now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, albeit with some caveats:

Fonts might not come across right and may have to be fixed afterwards via css/webfonts.

Any overflowing content will be visible outside the page frame and this requires a simple overflow:hidden assigned to the container tag.

The page will not be centered on the page. Assign margin:auto; to the main container to fix that.

Links between pages will not work unless created with the additional link script. I just manually fix the links in the html.

The page will not scale automatically to the size of the browser window. If this is required, a combination of CSS and javascript can be used to fix this.

SVG is not supported as a work-around for the font issue. Publish online merely converts all text to a SVG to circumvent these problems (which is somewhat questionable).

There is a reason why In5 exists, of course. No manual fiddling around. Then again it is not that much work to fix it all, and the code can be automated in a later step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it didn't work before, it won't work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconding the need for Adobe to make secure password protected "published" documents - I would imagine most of us are sending sensitive decks to clients, this feature is needed urgently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines