• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[ANN] IndexMatic³ for InDesign 2023 (and CS6/CS5/CS4)

Guide ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

The 2023 version of the IndexMatic script is on its way. This is a huge update of an “indexing tool” that has been often mentioned on this forum—and maybe I did not always answer the questions that had arisen, sorry about that 😉

Anyway this topic is dedicated to iX³ users, so fell free to ask questions here if the manual (or exchanges through Twitter) were not enough.

ixme-400.png

• When will the PRO version be available?
    Tomorrow the latest. Look out for the special launch price at indiscripts.com!

A few screenshots of the main dialog:

FQ QL 4789.png

CO Finding Huge Done.png

CO Ctxt Grab2 Edit.png

Thank you in advance for the welcome you'll give to this script!

Best,

Marc

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for creating this impressive script, Marc.

The manual is excellent, and informative about indexes in general, providing much food for thought. Apart from anything else it's also a good overview of the problems a human indexer will inevitably face when compiling an index!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂

[Peter is too modest to tell you that he actively helped and advised me during the development of IndexMatic³. I warmly thank him for the lucidity he brought to me.]

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who plan to migrate from IndexMatic² to IndexMatic³, or simply want to know “what's new” in the v3, here is a summary of all the practical info:

https://indiscripts.com/post/2023/01/indexmatic3-what-s-new

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

À l'attention des InDesigners francophones un petit bonus en VF pour vous initier à IndexMatic³ :

A+

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marc Autret your plug in looks very comprehensive. Thanks for developing it.

I'm working on a way to export my index terms from a product information database (PIM) for a product catalogue.

Each product would have predefined index terms exported to a page (in a table)  and I would use your plug-in to search for them using a paragraph style.

What is the best way to create Index entries from this data?

For example:

/USB Flash Drives/

/Verbatim/USB Flash Drives

I would want to create this as follows:

U

USB Flash Drives 49

V

Verbatim

USB Flash Drives 49

I can see that your plug-in works with InDesign Books, which is ideal as I have single pages kept in a book file.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SteveP-Integra 

Thanks for your feedback on iX³

1. In the Finder, select the Query List mode and create a new Query List:

MarcAutret_0-1675163017037.png

2. If your items come from your database in the form

/USB Flash Drives/

/Verbatim/USB Flash Drives

or more generally, either /key/ or /parent-topic/key,

your query list should be formatted:

// For simple keys
/USB Flash Drives/ => $

// For <parent>/<key> forms
/USB Flash Drives/ => Verbatim > $

I've assumed that “USB Flash Drives” is still the key that you're looking for in the second query, and “Verbatim” a parent topic.

3. Now, if you have a zillion of such elements to treat, IndexMatic directives will help you reformat the incoming list automatically:

→ https://indiscripts.com/blog/public/scripts/en_IndexMatic3-Manual.pdf#page=69

4. In Output > Destination, don't forget to activate “Create Alphabetic Headings”:

MarcAutret_1-1675164235455.png

Hope that helps.

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Marc Autret 

I can see that working as I already have a query list I can use to search.

One small question I have come across so far...

If I escape the / in the query eg. SDHC\/XC Cards how do I stop that appearing in the index export?

I will continue to test using the free version and purchase a copy when I'm happy that it will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SteveP-Integra 

A user reported that issue yesterday (working on it!), it specifically affects regex queries with implicit term. Fix coming soon! In the meantime you can use the explicit scheme:

// Workaround for escape sequences
/abc\/def/ => $0

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SteveP-Integra 

Problem solved in v3.23021 available today. The $ variable—and the implicit term—in a regex query now resolves escape sequences (like `\/`) and character specifiers (like `\x2F`). So the regex query

/abc\/def/

will produce the term “abc/def” as expected, which is consistent with the equivalent token query.

Download the new TRY package: https://indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndexMatic

Thanks again for your feedback!

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Marc Autret 

It's working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

In case you missed it, IndexMatic³ now has a dedicated FAQ page (in both English and French) where a host of practical questions are addressed:

→ https://indiscripts.com/post/2023/09/indexmatic3-frequently-asked-questions

Also, a compatibility fix has been released for InDesign 2024 users who were experiencing color/display issues:

→ https://indiscripts.com/post/2023/11/indexmatic3-compatibility-patch-for-indesign-2024

Thanks for your attention.

Best,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines