• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to copy a document and have all text boxes linked to the original?

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I want to copy a document but have all the text boxes in the new document be linked to the original one.

Background is that the original document will be the Print-Version, while the new one will be the Digital-Version. With a new document, which text boxes are linked, I could easily switch out the character format through CMD+F.

Alternate Layouts don't work, because CMD+F always changes all of the characters, not defined by layout.

If you have any other suggestion I'm open for any ideas!

TOPICS
Import and export , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  I could easily switch out the character format through CMD+F.

Don't do this! Use it different paragraph styles. 

https://youtu.be/21oLhN9-_-M?t=46

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner
In this InDesign how-to video, Erica Gamet explains how to maintain different layouts all in one document. Taken from the "Three Minutes Max" event at CreativePro Week, she quickly runs down how to style the different layouts, make editorial changes, and export to both print and digital versions ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Im using character formats for a reason though (Background grid available, very different paragraphs etc.). 

Any idea on the original problem? Im a bit helpless right now. Thank in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch a video from the previous post. Changing formatting through search is a strange idea, use it styles!

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, maybe I wrongly described my problem. I have character style #1 which I want to switch out with character style #2. In the end I want to have 2 seperate documents/pdfs. One with all text formatted into style #1, one formatted into style #2. I can't go through the entire document and assign every text style #2 (over 200 different text boxes). I can't do it with an alternative layout, because if I choose CMD+F to replace style #1 with style #2 it changes it everywhere (on layout A and layout B // it is also not possible to CMD+F by pages or layout). 

That is why I want to seperate documents, so I can switch out the styles as I like. To make sure the text between the seperate documents stays the same, I want to have them linked (see my original question).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I go again. E-type song))

>> Watch a video from the previous post

It contains what you need. (copy text styles to new style group checkbox)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by linked? If you change the content in one, you want it changed in the other?

If so, you could probably get that to work by exporting everything to InCopy. Then just redefine the styles in the second document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could the Content Collector maybe help you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBY90LHzDrw

In this tutorial, I go over steps on how to use the Content Collector Tool in Adobe InDesign to pull content from one layout and place into another. Full tutorial: https://bit.ly/2OzltQo Twitter: https://twitter.com/AngeloMontilla Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/montilladesign/ Instagram: ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines