• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple Unsupporting Fonts in 2023: Format Confusion

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in InDesign, a message comes up that my document contains 50 fonts that will be unsupported by Adobe by 2023. Yikes!

I looked at one of the fonts (Aviano Sans Regular) that InDesign identifies as one that will be unsupported. I've read that Postscript Type 1 fonts will be unsupported starting in ''23, but can't figure out if the 'Opentype Postscript' fonts are in that same category that will be unsupported. 

Font Book identifies it as an OpenType PostScript font, MyFonts.com says it's OpenType OTF,  and Font Book identifies it as an OpenType PostScript font. Aren't OpenType fonts safe? 

Can someone shed any light on this for me? I can't believe that all of these fonts InDesign has identified them as the ones to be obsolete in a year!

Thanks so much!

Dawn

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts you are showing in your capture are Opentype and should be supported. Type 1 fonts are listed as Type: Type 1 in Find/Replace Font, so this version of Universe will not be supported if I choose to upgrade ID:

Screen Shot 17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, there are utilities available. which will convert Type 1 to Opentype:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/ende-der-unterst%C3%BCtzung-f%C3%BCr-ps-type-1-f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well… This is a highly misleading message!

True, could be that there are any character styles or paragraph styles that are NOT in use that require PostScript Type-1-fonts. But if the text in your document does not use that styles it's useless that you can use that button on the blue message bar to open the Find/Replace Font panel where clearly is stated: Type 1 Fonts: 0.

I'm not sure what this new functionality exactly counts as Type 1 font.

The ones in your screenshot showing the Find/Replace Font panel cannot be meant.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dawn,

maybe I can explain why you get the misleading message, now that I had access to an InDesign document where this also happened. A document that does not use any Type-1 fonts in the text or in not used paragraph styles or not used character styles.

Here is the case:

211111-1-WrongType-1-Fonts-Warning-2.PNG

The feature detects 37 Type-1 font styles in the document where none is used!

Why is that?

I exported an IDML file of the document and inspected the Fonts.xml file of the IDML package. And here we have them listed, all 37 Type-1 font styles that were alerted.

So my conclusion is, that if you ever used Type-1 fonts in a document, InDesign adds them to a list in the document code. That list is also present in an IDML file exported from a document. The list is updated when you use new fonts in the document, but that update will not remove items from the list if you do not use previous used fonts anymore.

Opened an IDML of the document with 7-Zip on my Windows machine to get the Fonts.xml file:

Fonts.xml-Showing-Type1-Fonts.PNG

Inspected the Fonts.xml file inside the package and found 37 entries that matches the expression:

FontType="Type1"

Fonts.xml-Showing-Type1-Fonts-Screen-1.PNG

Obviously fonts are listed that were used in the past, but are not used anymore with that document.

"Save As" will not remove the old entries; just tested that.

Export to IDML will not remove the old entries.

I'd suggest you do the same:
Export your document to IDML, open the package and inspect the Fonts.xml file to see if there are any FontType="Type1" entries listed.

A warning:

Do not try to edit the Fonts.xml file inside the package.

Did some tests and lost the ability of the document to see some of the fonts I had stored in a Document fonts directory.

Something I have to research and test a bit more perhaps. Maybe I detected another bug?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines