Arabic and English text gets rearranged - please help!

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
I will try to keep it short and clear. I installed the ME InDesign. I need to copy paste an Arabic text from Word into the InDesign file. This text contains both arabic and roman script, sometimes in the same sentence.

for example:

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 18.44.56.pngthis is the text in the Word file

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 18.45.51.pngthis is the InDesign text that I copy pasted

Clearly the order gets mixed up. Now, I have read through every single article possible that is related to this topic, and I have tried all the answers posted there - meaning I do have the following turned on: align right, RTL paragraph direction, character direction: default, digits: arabic, typeface adobe: arabic, character style/language: arabic

I want to note that when I am copying a completely arabic paragraph, it gets pasted perfectly!

Moreover, when I am selecting the mixed script sentence in Word, by dragging the cursos over the sentence to select, if I slow it down, I can see it being selected sporadically until it all gets blue - by that I mean this:

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 18.58.34.pngScreenshot 2021-12-10 at 18.58.47.pngI start selecting RTL - I select the "7)" first but then it  skips as shown in the 2nd image

Someone please help me fix this, it is incredibly annoying... even if I copy past word by word, number by number it somehow switches directions, starts typing from another point, etc... like its going crazy

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mixed paragraphs with RTL and LTR text are problematic.  Only one language direction can be allowed to have a line break. You cannot have line breaks with both languages. Asign to one language a no break property. So these texts must be so short to fit in a line. If that is not possible, breakt it up into several paragraphs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see... well, thank you for answering!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will help in addition to Willi's reply, but here are some scripts that let you change direction for just 1-2 characters at time. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dzvkg4iv1vsg6tq/AAC_FlxT4qr55lwNrA0QKd5da?dl=0

Let me know if you have trouble retrieving the files. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, meant to add how to install scripts: https://redokun.com/resources/install-an-indesign-script

And I was wondering, would there be any different result overall if you Place the file (File > Place) vs. Copy/Paste from Word? Copy/Paste is, in general, not the best approach. Though it may be necessary in some cases. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The experience you described is what we have been suffering with it for decades to the extent it became a normal issue for us. Microsoft had localized (Arabized) their Office applications differently to how Adobe did it, add to this Windows OS, and Mac both have again different methods of dealing with Right to Left Languages. That's why we try to minimize the differences in a workflow by trying to work on specific platform Win/Mac and keep the workflow from a single developer such as InCopy for writers and authors, along with InDesign for the rest of designers and page layout staff.

I'm not saying at all that you and us should consider these issues as normal, but I'm saying thatr we adapted to such behaviours and have developed some workarounds of our own.

In your example you're dealing with short text. If you know Arabic, I advice you of typing the sentence all over in InDesign. Otherwise, the best way to get Arabic from MS. Word is by placing it not copy/paste.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2021 Dec 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everyone posting in your thread is right, but Zaid is right-est, I think:

the best way to get Arabic from MS. Word is by placing it not copy/paste.

That's a command in the File menu, without which you will be using all kinds of crazy workarounds. My own preferred crazy workarounds is to place the Word document, and then use RTL and LTR markers and overrides to force the text to render the way I think it ought to render. There are markers and overrides in Type -> Insert Special ME Character -> Unicode Markers. Sometimes I also have to mark individual spaces as RTL character direction (that's in the flyout menu on the Charater panel) especially when numerals and parentheses and such are involved. 

But really, I think that many of your frustrations are coming from attempts to copy & paste bidirectional text. Don't trust the Clipboard!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines