• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are selection and direct selection tools symbols changed?

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using the new Indesign 17.01 and I found something strange in the selection & direct selection tools regarding their symbols: I expect to use the black arrow for the selection tool and the white one for the direct selection but they are inverted as can be seen from the screenshot.  The white one on the left activates the selection tool while the black one on the right the direct selection. 

Is it normal due to any new update or is something strange?

selection tool.JPG

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

The positions of the tools did not change.

Switch to the lightest UI. There is no change in appearance at all.

Just in the two dark UI settings.

We already had some discussions about the change here in the forum.

Top row is InDesign 2021, bottom row is InDesign 2022.

Check the consistency of the little triangle in the Page Tool between 2021 and 2022.

The same happened now with both selection tools:

TopRow2021-BottomRow2022.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The positions of the tools did not change.

Switch to the lightest UI. There is no change in appearance at all.

Just in the two dark UI settings.

We already had some discussions about the change here in the forum.

Top row is InDesign 2021, bottom row is InDesign 2022.

Check the consistency of the little triangle in the Page Tool between 2021 and 2022.

The same happened now with both selection tools:

TopRow2021-BottomRow2022.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Uwe for the explanation and I checked what you say switching to the lightest UI.

But, I'm sorry, is something strange since both Illustrator and Photoshop in the newest versions keep the original symbols even in the darker UI. 

I don't like work with the lightest UI and in this way the new Indesign icons don't keep consistency with the Adobe ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. In InDesign they have swapped the positions round so that the selection tool is now at the top (as it always used to be). I am constantly clicking on the wrong tool and it's wasting loads of time over the course of a day. It's infuriating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Uwe stated, go by the position of the tools--that has not changed.

Also consider using the keyboard shortcuts--it is a big timesaver:

• v for Selection tool (think moVe tool)
  • a for the Direct Selection tool (think Art-editing tool)
  • Esc if you are typing text to switch to the Selection tool
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

The first tool is always the Selection tool.

The second one is always the Direct Selection tool.

This has not changed.

FWIW: If you would switch to one of the two lighter UIs you would see no difference at all compared to older CC versions.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understad what has changed then, because since doing the update yesterday I am consistently clicking the direct selection tool instead of the selection tool and it's driving me mad. I have got used to the dark mode, so would rather not have to change it because the icons have changed. And in Illustrator they are the other way round too - direct selection at the top. I really wish Adobe would make everything consistent across apps. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.. and in Illustrator - the direct selection tool is the filled in arrow, and in InDesign the selection tool is the filled in arrow!! No wonder I'm confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I really wish Adobe would make everything consistent across apps. "

Well, I wish that the developer teams from Illustrator and PhotoShop were also that consistent.

InDesign has it right now in terms of inter-InDesign consistency with both icons.

It's solid ( Selection tool ) vs hollow ( Direct Selection tool ).

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would agree it is correct now in InDesign - it is having to get used to it changing that is the problem. It being different in Illustrator is a pain!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you swap the two icons?

In all other Adobe apps the selection tool and the direct selection tool always keep the same appearance, even with the darkest UIs.

It's absolutely crazy that you guys, in the Indesign department, don't take into consideration all the other apps from Adobe and it's really hard to understand why the two icons should change their appearance when switching between UI.

PLEASE, keep them looking normal like in all other Adobe apps. These are the basic rules of the User Experience that are taught in the first year of any graphics course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely an issue - I thought I was losing my memory or something because I couldn't keep straight which was the Direct Select tool vs. Select. I switch between Illustrator and InDesign a lot and finally realized that they are appearing differently in each one. Hope this gets fixed soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is confusing me as well. I am now constantly clicking on the wrong selection tool. I don't actually like the lighter UI, prefer the darker one. I cannot believe changing the appearance of these tools was considered a priority?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! This is ongoing and driving me mad. I switch between InDesign and Illustrator all the time and it is a nightmare, as not only are the icons different, but they are in different places. It's crazy that Adobe have done this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change of appearance is totally wrong! The appearance of the icons must be the same among all Adobe apps and there is nothing to support this crazy decision as even within the same Indesign the two icons change their appearance from a light to a darker user interface. Guys at Photoshop and Illustrator have maintained perfect consistency. You, Indesign team, no. What you did is totally wrong.

PS: Users do not see a solid arrow or an empty arrow. Users see a black and white arrow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm with you. Ive found it so frustrating and a time waste that i have gone back to previos versions. To me its like someone deciding to swap the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal or red will no mean go and green stop. Its crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines