• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto numbering step by step instructions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating instruction booklets that are made up of step-by-step photos showing how something is constructed. Each step has a number and I need to find a way of automatically numbering each step. This isn't a simple case of a list with numbered bullet points. There are over 200 steps, so individually numbering them is a task I'd rather automate some how. So I'm looking for a way of maybe having a master step number 'icon' that every time I place into the document will incremetally count up from 1. Or drag from the CC Library and the same thing happen? The steps are not in a regimented position on the page. Each step number will be a white out number within a coloured circle. I've attached an example of something we have previously created so you can see how the numbering looks. Does anyone know if there is a simple solution to this?

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Hi @Gefraldo Perez:

How about something like this:

1. Use Excel to generate the numbers (https://www.teachexcel.com/excel-tutorial/quickly-create-a-huge-list-of-numbers-in-excel_1400.html)
  2. Copy/paste the list to the pasteboard.
  3. Draw a circle, change it to a text frame, set the vertical alignment to center. Save it as an object style. Duplicate on the spread.
  4. Type a sample number in the first frame. Create a paragraph style to change the font, size, color and horizontal alignment to center. Set t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a number list(s) with the prefixes (A, B, etc) & an object style to the shape with the para style applied in the object style. I'd guess it'd require you doing the items in sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank davecourtemanche. Creating in sequence wouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll have a go. 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gefraldo Perez:

How about something like this:

1. Use Excel to generate the numbers (https://www.teachexcel.com/excel-tutorial/quickly-create-a-huge-list-of-numbers-in-excel_1400.html)
  2. Copy/paste the list to the pasteboard.
  3. Draw a circle, change it to a text frame, set the vertical alignment to center. Save it as an object style. Duplicate on the spread.
  4. Type a sample number in the first frame. Create a paragraph style to change the font, size, color and horizontal alignment to center. Set the Start Paragraph to: In Next Frame in Keep options. Update the style. Be sure the size accommodates the largest numbers comfortably.
  5. Delete the sample number and use Semi-automatic flow to add the numbered list to the circles.

~Barb

2022-11-23_17-51-07 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Barb, that might well be the solution. Thanks for the detailed explaination too, really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines