• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto size text box to size of another text box?

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-07-26 101112.pngI have a large document with multiple supplies/student objectives combinations occuring. Because the supplies needed varry from instance to instance, I set the object style on the left to be variable height. I now want the box on the right to automatically size to be the same height as the one on the left. Does anyone know of a way to do this where each time a supplies box is placed, the corresponding student objective box will resize to the same length?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with auto-size, but you can make them match with Edit > Place and Link (and enable the Create Link checkbox before you offload the frame from the conveyor belt) if you are willing to adjust the height of the first frame manually. Double clicking the bottom middle handle would be the quickest option, and then click the alert triangle to update the 2nd frame. 

~Barb

place and link.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jehann25311349vw1p ,

I could offer two solutions, both are not that easy to set up.

[1] Use a table: One header row, one body row and two columns.

The distance between the two columns can be empty if you fill the text cells with the cell feature diagonal line.

[2] Use a two column text frame where the paragraph style for the header is set to start in the next text column.

Plus a lot of formatting of course.

Here two screenshots of the two solutions, at the top the table, at the bottom the two column text frame where the gap between the two columns is a white colored column line. Had to use that because I filled the text frame with the light color. Also look into the Story Editor window where you can see the structure of the flowing text.

Table-SOLUTION-1.PNG

TwoColumnTextFrame-SOLUTION-1.PNG

All details about formatting are in my document you could download from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpz7jc6780xbwdp/TwoColumnsSameHeight-Table-TwoColumnTextFrame.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Jehann25311349vw1p ,

below a variation of the two-columns text frame where I need no column line.

Here also the paragraph styles for the texts below the headers are using paragraph shading. Note, that I checked the option that the shading should be restricted to the text frame's edges.

TwoColumnTextFrame-ParaShading-SOLUTION-4.PNG

Download the document from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2z48afd36o93gcc/TwoColumnTextFrame-AllParagraphShading.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines