• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

background color not showing up in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several pages in my INDD document with a solid fill color. After I export the file to PDF, I can see the background color in the preview screen but when I open the PDF, none of the pages with the background fill show it. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me problem solve. I updated my system, reinstalled Acrobat but it was still happening. Then I noticed a similar issue posted from someone else a few months ago and tried the suggestion posted. It worked! It was my accessibility settings that were messing everything up and when I think back to when it first started happening, I realize it was after I made a PDF file accessible. So all good now, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

I stumbled across this discussion when I was having the same issue (background colors not displaying after converting to PDF) and after reading about accessibility (see post above) I went to Adobe Acrobat > Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > and uncheck Replace Document Colors. That seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you apply the background color? Is it on a layer that is set to non-printing?

After I export the file to PDF, I can see the background color in the preview screen

Which "preview screen" is that, and what application are you using to open and view the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you viewing the pdf in Acrobat or Reader? You may be creating a layered pdf and your pdf viewer does not respect layers. It might also be an overprint issue or the background layer is set to not print (or export). Is the background color a spot color? Can you attach a sample page with the missing background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm viewing in Acrobat. I've never had this issue in the past so when I opened up the file and there was nothing there, I was surprised. I've attached one page from my document with the resulting PDF. All colors are CMYK. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If by Solid Fill Color, you mean a spot Pantone, then the fault may be in the Acrbat view settings. 

In the Page Display settings, for Use Overprint Preview: Always

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but when I open the PDF, none of the pages with the background fill show it.

Hi @annab96467542 , That could happen if you created the background color by editing the default [Paper] swatch. [Paper] represents the color of the paper with no ink printed. AcrobatPro has the equivalent in its Output Preview panel, Set Page Background Color, which is unchecked by default:

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create the background I drew a box with a solid fill (with bleeds). This has only started happening since the latest update to the software – I don't know if it's Acrobat or INDD that's causing this. I'm attaching one page from my INDD file and the resulting PDF. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. I've never had this problem in the past. If I open up the page in Photoshop, the background color is there. When I browse my desktop to open the file, it shows in the preview display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here. The purple color background is there in InDesign and the exported PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why can't I see it on my screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a capture from AcrobatPro with the Print Production> Output Preview open?

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your pdf looks fine here too, in Acrobat & Reader. There is some black type behind the background, send the background to the bottom to reveal it. Check for Acrobat updates and try re-starting your Mac, if you are still having issues, you may need to re-install Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me problem solve. I updated my system, reinstalled Acrobat but it was still happening. Then I noticed a similar issue posted from someone else a few months ago and tried the suggestion posted. It worked! It was my accessibility settings that were messing everything up and when I think back to when it first started happening, I realize it was after I made a PDF file accessible. So all good now, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@annab96467542   

thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what was the fix? i'm having the same issue..... i don't know what to change in "accessibility settings" to make the background show up!?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I stumbled across this discussion when I was having the same issue (background colors not displaying after converting to PDF) and after reading about accessibility (see post above) I went to Adobe Acrobat > Edit > Preferences > Accessibility > and uncheck Replace Document Colors. That seemed to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines