Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backwards Apostrophe displaying incorrectly after Data Merge

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an Excel file to Data Merge, and I've converted it into a CSV for InDesign.

In my Excel file, I have Names followed by a Class Year. For example, "'Mr. John Smith '82", but when InDesign reads the apostrophe, it's a Forwards one instead of a Backwards one.

I would change the apostrophe through Glyphs with a find and replace, however, I have more than a hundred rows in my CSV, and the rest of the normal apostrophes in the rest of the document would change.

Is there a faster way to replace/change these apostrophes?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

In your preferences, the checkbox asking about typographers quote will make a difference here.

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.31.00 am.png

I've just replicated your situation. When checked on, the line comes through with a single left quote. If i turn the checkbox off and then toggle preview on and off, it goes to a straight quote.

That said, if you want typographers quotes elsewhere BUT in this instance you need a single right quote, you will need to actually copy that glyph into Excel. This can be done from your contextual menus when y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a picture in reference to what I'm asking help on:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 121558.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your preferences, the checkbox asking about typographers quote will make a difference here.

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.31.00 am.png

I've just replicated your situation. When checked on, the line comes through with a single left quote. If i turn the checkbox off and then toggle preview on and off, it goes to a straight quote.

That said, if you want typographers quotes elsewhere BUT in this instance you need a single right quote, you will need to actually copy that glyph into Excel. This can be done from your contextual menus when you have a blinking text cursor in a textframe.

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.34.06 am.png

 From here with the new single right quotation mark inserted, copy the character and paste it into the appropriate place in Excel.

When a csv is now exported, selected as a data merge source (with the typographers quotes on in preferences) this is what I end up with:

Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 3.36.36 am.png

 The other way to do this is have two fields - one with the person's name, the next with the year. In your data merge file in indesign, you would have a line of text that looks like this:

<<name>> ’<<year>>

This way InDesign can control the formatting of the quote from here without relying on Excel parsing the data to a text only format which is then parsed again via InDesign's data merge tool.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your response.

• For the first option relating the typographer's quote, this option didn't work, for me at least.

• For the second option, I am trying it out after I submit this project, and will respond again.

• For the third option relating to having two fields in excel - this worked. I split the names from one column to two, and was able to merge correctly in InDesign.

(However, I had a few fields with multiple names & graduation years in them, and had to manually fix them.

I thought I could split them into 4 fields, <<name1>> '<<year1>> and <<name2>> '<<year2>>, "Mr. John Smith '82 and Mrs. Jane Smith '82." Unfortunately, I'd have to manually delete an extra single right quote for lines that do not have two names in the first field. Thankfully there were not that many double names. Is there a way to solve this issue? I will have many more documents in the future.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Just following up: the second option you provided me works as well.

It also works better when I have multiple names for the same street address.

Thank you!

I attached pictures if anyone else is having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you could remove the language via GREP character style for the missing letter apostrophe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines