• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch image relinking to a different path in an entire book / all open documents

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for some help ...

I have a book with over 30 documents contained inside it, they are all relatively the same except minor copy changes, and I no longer want to use the same ie: "Logo" file that is being used in ALL of the documents. I want to update the "Logo" image link in all of the documents to a different version/different file/ different location etc.

Is there a way to do this at the same time across all of the documents in the book?

Is there also a way to do this across all open documents?

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guru , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Here (at the bottom) I made a minor modification of my Relink images script. I called it Relink images by path.

Add your file name and path to the arguments file or hardcode it into the script:

2022-08-02_12-42-54.png

You can use it like so:

2022-08-02_12-51-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Here it is: https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/batch_convert.html

But Kas's solution is a bit simpler by now since he updated his script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

I updated the script. https://bit.ly/3A3Zqqv
Now if you are using an arguments file, use the 'pipe' character to separate elements in the array because file and folder names may contain commas, semicolons, etc. but not pipes. A sample arguments file is included with the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two options:

1) just change the file for the linked logo - then open all files in the book and update links, 

2) custom script - if you need to do this more often 😉 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where the issue is... I need to link the logo to a totally different file in a totally different location on the server, so I cant just rename the file and updated all links.

Would you know a way to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you need to do it only once - because design changed - or will you need to do it more often?

Why can't you just replace the file and update all files? It would take you less time than waiting for a script... 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can organise a script that updates one document, then use a batch processor to apply the script to a folderful of files. There are several threads in this forum that discuss those batch processors. One was written by Kasyan Servetsky, another one by me.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter! Can you give link to your script here? I know that we can find it after some search, but better to have it direct link for all future forum readers. Thanks in advance. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is: https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/batch_convert.html

But Kas's solution is a bit simpler by now since he updated his script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here (at the bottom) I made a minor modification of my Relink images script. I called it Relink images by path.

Add your file name and path to the arguments file or hardcode it into the script:

2022-08-02_12-42-54.png

You can use it like so:

2022-08-02_12-51-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Do you have a link to your updated script "Relink images by path" ? or was the minor change just to add image paths?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the updated script is at the bottom of the page I mentioned in my previous post:

KasyanServetsky_0-1659474314527.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the script. https://bit.ly/3A3Zqqv
Now if you are using an arguments file, use the 'pipe' character to separate elements in the array because file and folder names may contain commas, semicolons, etc. but not pipes. A sample arguments file is included with the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is EXACTLY what I needed thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines