• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bleed marks set in Document Setup but missing in InDesign and exported PDF

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up my book with bleed marks, but misinterpreted the printer's requirements and deleted them. Now I've set them up again in Document Setup, but they don't show up inmy InDesign document. Previously, with the bleeds set, they didn't show up in the exported PDF.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Bleed marks don't show up in the InDesign document (unless you manually created your own lines).

You would create them in the File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) dialog box in the Marks and Bleeds section, like below. They would appear in your PDF file:

InDesign CC023.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bleed marks don't show up in the InDesign document (unless you manually created your own lines).

You would create them in the File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) dialog box in the Marks and Bleeds section, like below. They would appear in your PDF file:

InDesign CC023.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the bleed marks show in the InDesign file of the cover (as well as the PDF) but not in the InDesign file of the interior. The PDF is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the bleed marks show in the InDesign file of the cover (as well as the PDF) but not in the InDesign file of the interior. The PDF is fine.

Then they must have been manually drawn or included in a placed file. Check the masterpages.

As Steve points out when you set Printer Marks in the Export or Print dialogs they are never added to the pages, they only appear in the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. The bleed area is most definitely shown on Indesign documents.Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 4.36.32 PM.png

I actually had a problem the other day were they disappeared off one of my documents. It seems it was a glitch. I was able to close Indesign and reopen it and they returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what happened to me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post... however, how do you get the export pdf to reflect the red bleed mark guidelines? I send my documents to the printer and they state that the bleed marks are missing even though I have manually set them up and exported them with the proper boxes checked. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be some confusion in this thread between Bleed MARKS and Bleed GUIDES.

That red line shown in the screen capture of the page is a bleed GUIDE, which is added in the Document Setup dialog when you specify bleed values for the document. The are there to show you how far to extend the art beyond the page edge whre and when it should run to the edge of the page (bleed). Guides show in Normal view, but not in Preview Mode (my guess for what happened to the OP) or in exported or printed content.

Bleed MARKS, on the other hand, are added as Steve explained above, in the Export or Print dialog. Those show on the output.

Their purpose is to show the printer the edge of the bleed allowance, and in more than 20 years I've never had a printer request them. CROP marks, however, are standard additions to all output to be printed and trimmed (bleed, N-up prints on a larger sheet) and show the printer where the edge of the perintwed page is supposed to be trimmed. Since content in the bleed area is actually supposed to be cut off, knowing the outer limit of the bleed is not particularly useful. The only reason for extending art beyond the page edge is to prevent white borders whrte there should be color to the edge in cases where the paper cutter is not properly aligned to the page edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much for the clarification. I will see my printer's tomorrow and I hope that I was able to export the bleed to their expectations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines