• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurred, Pixelated Text - is there a fix?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For weeks now my InDesign text has been displaying as low resolution pixelated text (see screenshot below). 

In preferences my Display is all high quality and images are displaying fine, although now as High Quality as I would like, however this text, and any vectors / EPS files placed also look pixelated or un-rendered.

Any advice on how to fix this? Seems to be in every single document I use or open now and is very frustrating! Have tried uninstalling and re-installing InDesign but no luck. 

Thanks

USING: PC Windows 10, latest version of ID

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2024 Oct 04, 2024

Tony, what happens if you disable GPU Performance?

~Barb

2024-10-04_18-31-54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jemima,

Preferences > Display Performance  >

Default View: [ High Quality ]

[  ] Preserve Object-Level Display Settings

Adjust View Settings [ High Quality ]

[ x ] Enable Anti-aliasing    Greek Type Below: 0 pt

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2024 Oct 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

These issues (font pixelation... not sure about images at this stage) still persist after using suggested settings.

Staff at my school advised others are experiencing the same issue...

is Adobe resolving this issue??Screen Shot 2024-10-05 at 9.15.37 am.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-05 at 9.16.53 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this is a three-year-old thread. Still, it's generally good to continue a topic rather than start yet another one. 🙂

This is not a common issue with InDesign and as far as I know and recollect, nearly all of the problems and solutions lie with user systems — OS, video system, drivers, display, settings etc.

Details about your system — platform, OS version, ID version, screen resolution — can help.

The first question, though, is does this happen with all fonts? For example, does it happen with the Adobe/ID standard fonts Minion Pro and Myriad Pro? Or is it only with select fonts, perhaps one your school distributes or uses for all projects? Because honestly, those screen caps look like poor font rendering (rather than screen resolution or other system issues). Checking with "known good" fonts is a start.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks james for your prompt reply and considered suggestions (thumbs up)... i've tried a more reliable font ...Minion Reg 13 pt and still the pixelation persists...see attached... luckily the issue isn't there when file is exported as a pdf but is very annoying... i'm currently running an old MAC OS Monterey 12.6.3 on desktop... perhaps could be an issue... will upgrade OS on laptop first and try again... cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Mac guy but I'd bet that's at the root of it. I know the newer versions of ID have been very sensitive to MacOS versions. Maybe one of the Macsperts will ring in, here. Can't hurt to upgrade, I think.

ID is increasingly demanding on RAM, as well. Any less than 16GB and all kinds of problems crop up.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheers James, really appreciate your input and suggestions... ride on!!

ps your book Id to Kindle looks very interesting!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony, what happens if you disable GPU Performance?

~Barb

2024-10-04_18-31-54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW it works!!!!!! your all kinds of awesome Barb... thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yabba dabba dooScreen Shot 2024-10-05 at 12.19.06 pm.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-05 at 12.19.19 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2024 Oct 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

well, turning off GPU support for InDesign is only available on Macs.

It's not a feature on Windows machine. So it is not a solution for our OP, @Jemima5FA6 , who stated Windows 10 as the operating system.

( Just a comment on continuing a thread… )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2024 Oct 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Uwe, and they are really two different questions—the OP is showing fully bitmapped characters, whereas Tony had some clean edges and some wonky edges—which looked like a DP issue to me. No idea what was going on for @Jemima5FA6. It looks like low-res display of text images and not live text. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines