• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book | Spine Width Calc | Number of Pages vs. Number of Sheets?

Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a cover-spine-back cover file now in Adobe InDesign for my book. We all know that the spine width is dependent on the number of "pages". A general formula is as follows:

• Spine Width = (Number of Pages) x (Thickness/Page)

What is really meant here: the number of pages (112 in my case) or the number of sheets (physical pieces of paper; 66 in my case)? I believe it is the latter, but I find nothing clarifying this matter via Internet searching conducted so far (e.g., KDP set up), and I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Most formulas from book printing services are asking for the number of print pages, which of course would be nominally half that number of sheets.

Amazon/KDP, for example, gives the value of 0.002244 for the thickness of a page... which is actually half the thickness of each sheet or "page" in the book.

A quick calculation will usually show if you're wrong — in most cases, it's evident that the thickness calculated is either half or double what it should be. Compare the figure with other bo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be pages stacked up. Sheets that are folded 2-up, would be half that number, for example, even as you noted. Your question reminds me how much variation in terminology there is in the printing industry, even within one country. Page numbers would occur 2 on each page/sheet: one on the front and one on the back of each page/sheet of a printed book. 

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike:

Thank you. I think that what you are saying is that with my core book being 112 pages as counted via InDesign's page layouts, the number to use in the spine width formula is 66 sheets. That is, what matters is the number of physical sheets as if they were unfolded and stacked one on top of the other. For example, if I had a 10-page book (unrealistically thin, but used here for illustration), my sheet count to use for the spine width calculation would be as follows:

Pages 1-2 = 1 Sheet

Pages 3-4 = 1 Sheet

Pages 5-6 = 1 Sheet

Pages 7-8 = 1 Sheet

Pages 9-10 = 1 Sheet

Total = 5 Sheets

Spine Width = (5 Sheets) x (0.002252 Inches/Sheet) = 0.01126 Inches

Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! and as others have discussed, it is even more accurate if you get the info from the commercial printer doing the job.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike:

Thank you. I will proceed accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should get the spine bulk from the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob:

Thank you for the response. What is a spine bulk? The spine width? Are you saying that I should not use a rule-of-thumb formula but to consult with a book printer to get a bona fide spine width up front?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

For example this printer’s bulk calculator returns a different width depending on the sheet:

https://colorhousegraphics.com/spine-bulk-calculator/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob:

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thickness will depend on the EXACT paper being used and the printing/binding processes used by that printer. So even if you have a spec for the same paper, from a mill or another printer, it may not be accurate.

YOUR printer should either give you a value or point you to a setup page with a specific calculation.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

James:

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most formulas from book printing services are asking for the number of print pages, which of course would be nominally half that number of sheets.

Amazon/KDP, for example, gives the value of 0.002244 for the thickness of a page... which is actually half the thickness of each sheet or "page" in the book.

A quick calculation will usually show if you're wrong — in most cases, it's evident that the thickness calculated is either half or double what it should be. Compare the figure with other books at hand of similar size as a rule-of-thumb check.

But "page" usually means each printed page, not sheets (2 pages), which would have to be a separate calculation that might get screwed up. 🙂

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James: Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines