• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book/Tutorial Recommendations for Reference and Learning InDesign ExtendScript (or, UXP)?

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeking recommendations for authoritative books and/or tutorials for both reference to InDesign scripting (ExtendScript and/or UXP) as well as for learning InDesign ExtendScripting/UXP coding.

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Scripting , UXP Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for posting a reply...which (belatedly, my regrets) caused me to realize I should have clarified a point in my original question.

Because I was already aware of [most] of the cited resources, I should have qualified my question by requesting referrals to recent (say, within the preceding ~18 months, or so) resources which provide a more contemporary on-ramp to coding in InDesign.

To reaffirm: Apologies for my oversight, and thank you for taking the time to provide assistance; much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the Photoshop-related UXP docs and courses are more confusing than helpful, because the implementation is so different at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Head over to https://developer.adobe.com/console/servicesandapis . Locate InDesign and download the "Scripting SDK" (the section is labeled "Scripting"). This is mostly 10+ years old documentation, and at least parts have been copied to the newer UXP pages at https://developer.adobe.com/indesign/uxp/ .

ExtendScript Toolkit also came with the Javascript Tools Guide, e.g. still available from https://github.com/Adobe-CEP/CEP-Resources/blob/master/ExtendScript-Toolkit/Guides/JavaScript%20Tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[As mentioned in the "Reply," above...] Thank you very much for posting a reply...which (belatedly, my regrets) caused me to realize I should have clarified a point in my original question.

Because I was already aware of [most] of the cited resources, I should have qualified my question by requesting referrals to recent (say, within the preceding ~18 months, or so) resources which provide a more contemporary on-ramp to coding in InDesign.

To reaffirm: Apologies for my oversight, and thank you for taking the time to provide assistance; much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought Adobe UXP plugins development with React JS by Davide Barranca. It's about Photoshop, but the same approach would work for InDesign when UXP becomes fully available in the upcoming version. The book (version 1.0.1) was published on Jan 7, 2022. And it was updated (and the demo projects ) a few days ago on May 14, 2023.
So far, that's the best resource I could find on the new technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So, we only launched UXP scritping in InDesign last October (with UXP plugins coming this summer). It's possible that's not enough time for anyone to write a new book about it, especially since it's still under development.

That said, this author reached out to my team about their book on InDesign, which came out in November 2022:

or

Note that this is a paid resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Erin's links, plus:

ExtendScript (outdated, but still supported):

• Javascript Tools Guide
  • Adobe InDesign CS 6 Scripting Guide (pdf), if you can find it anywhere
  • Peter Kahrel ScriptUI for Dummies

UXP Kitchen Sink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Hauke30377645zwrc said:

"Adobe InDesign CS 6 Scripting Guide (pdf), if you can find it anywhere"

There is a newer PDF:

extendscript-docsforadobe-dev-en-latest.pdf

https://extendscript.docsforadobe.dev/_/downloads/en/latest/pdf/

JavaScript Tools Guide CC
Release 0.0.1
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Jun 05, 2023

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines