• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Both Master and Parent pages?

Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to make a change to a Parent page (previoiusly Master page) in one of my documents that's a member of a Book Panel. I made a change in the Parent page of my Style Master document and synced the Book Panel. It didn't make the change in my other documents. Looking closer at my Master Pages panel for the document, I see that I made the change in the Parent page but not the competing Master page: I have both Master and Parent pages which seem to be duplicates:

InDesign-Master-AND-Parent-Pages.jpg

Now what should I do? Thanks for your thoughts.

Update: after a delay of a minute or two, and with a screen refresh, the change propagated to all of my documents.

Still, should I delete all of the Master pages?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

well, I guess that's the byproduct of renaming master pages to parent pages when it comes to synching old documents from InDesign 2021 (or before) with a book file in InDesign 2022. Before you delete anything you have to check what parent pages are applied to document pages. InDesign should notify you if a parent page or a master page is in use.

I have no real recommendation here before doing some tests with book files myself.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem could have been avoided by renaming the parent/master pages from the start. Name them how they look or how they are used. 

For example:

• 2C Two Column
  • 3C Three Column
  • Cv  Cover
  • Etc. 

(These are just examples, not necessarily how I would name your parent pages.)

At this point, you need to:

1. Go back to each file and remove the master/parents that are not being used
  2. Manually rename the remaining masters/parents consistantly between documents
  3. Do the same in your Style Master
  4. Sync accordingly. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally figured it out. I simply needed to let InDesign think for a bit. It was in the middle of renaming all of my Master Pages as Parent Pages. It just didn't let me know it was doing that and I saw an intermediate step. Now all of my Master Pages are renamed as Parent Pages and I don't have any duplicates. Hey, InDesign, next time you decide to do something like that, please let me know, OK? We could have avoided this entire unpleasantness if you'd just told me what you were doing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines