• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bounding Box in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where the "Reset Bounding Box" in InDesign has been moved to, or has Adobe taken it away?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

As of an answer I gave in 2009 (!), no. ID doesn't have a 'normalize rotated elements' feature, which is a deliberate functional choice. Generally if you rotate something, you want to retain full control of the rotation; ID is not Illustrator, where you may want to 'convert' a rotated element for further modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

This command is from Illustrator, not from InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Similar to what others have said, you are thinking of a neat trick in Illustrator. This was never in InDesign.

You might read this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/quot-reset-bounding-box-quot-on-rotated-items/m-p/1370752

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of an answer I gave in 2009 (!), no. ID doesn't have a 'normalize rotated elements' feature, which is a deliberate functional choice. Generally if you rotate something, you want to retain full control of the rotation; ID is not Illustrator, where you may want to 'convert' a rotated element for further modification.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This command is from Illustrator, not from InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it also used to be in InDesign. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not since at least, well, 2009. And I'd bet it's not in any earlier versions. But it's easy to misremember what's in each Adobe app when many have similar feature sets. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the following method to reset an object:

After turning an object I draw a small rectangle inside the bounderies of the turned object. I select both objects and use the Pathfinder COmmand Add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried this; I'll give this a shot. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good solution. Just make sure that the stroke of the small rectangle is the same as the rotated object. (And there seem to be several other things necessary to make it work, e.g., the small rectangle must not be rotated, and I think it needs to be in front, also.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MHP-GRD-CVTC , InDesign has Object > Transform >Clear Transformations (in Illustrator’s Object menu there’s Object>Transform>Reset Bounding Box)

Screen Shot 24.png

Screen Shot 25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the same result, Rob. If I rotate a graphic and use Clear Transformations, it's reset to 0 degrees in positioning, not just in the transform numbers. Not the same as Illo's feature that completely resets a modified graphic to "the new normal," preserving rotations etc. but zeroing out all the transform values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also just right-click on the object and select Cleat ransfromations. However, there's the issue in that there are two separate transformations possible – the frame containing the content, and the content itself. It depends on which you select where the Clear Transformations will apply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar to what others have said, you are thinking of a neat trick in Illustrator. This was never in InDesign.

You might read this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/quot-reset-bounding-box-quot-on-rotated-items/m-...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you everybody there's lots of great ideas here I'll dig into it and see what I can find. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines