• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Broken links when packaging in indesign

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently a student in Graphic design and we are working on a project where I have to package my files and send them to other classmates. I usually don't have any problems with this but the past two projects have been having broken links in the indesign file. I seriously don't know what is happening. When I package the file and open the indesign file from the packaged folder all the links look fine and are linked to the packaged folder links folder. When I send the packaged folder out, classmates are telling me that the links are broken but they are all in the links folder. I have not been able to figure out what is causing the issue. Something I noticed is that when I download the packaged file, the links are getting pulled from my computer instead of the downloaded packaged links folder. I have tried re-linking and packaging multiple times but it keeps happening. I don't know what to do. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help out with this, I don't imagine I would be able to hold a job long if my laptop keeps sending out broken files. Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the option to include linked file into the package? If not and the file is opened from a different computer it will not find the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know, I don't think I have ever even seen that option. Is that under something different in the package menu? I usually just go file>package, and again I haven't ever had this issue before when packaging things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I just checked and yes that was clicked when packaging the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are those linked files on the pasteboard? Are you sure they were available when packaging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all files are there and linked before packaging. They are also in the links folder after packaging. I sent the package to the classmate and they were all there in the links folder but every single time the links are broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of them? Are they really broken or just showing as modified / out of date? How are you transferring the package? Did you choose the option to update the links for the packaged file? That is not the same as including the linked file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all of them, I would assume they are broken because my classmate said that the red error icon pops up and he always has to re-link them. I am compressing the packaged folder and uploading to a shared Dropbox. Is that an option that's on the packaging dialogue box? I usually have almost all of that stuff checked off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

20220311_082014.jpg

Ok so yes that is checked. All links are good and it seems that I have all the right stuff checked. That's why I am so confused as to why my classmate has to keep re-linking them even though they are in the links folder when he downloads the package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines