• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Business Card QR codes do not work with iPhone

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated a Business Card QR through InDesign and tested it on my old Android with no issues, but it won't work on multiple iPhones, Does anyone have a fix? TY

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @r3i_gn ,

Thank you for reaching out. Would you mind confirming if you're experiencing the issue discussed in this similar discussion? If yes, please add a vote to the bug, and let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the team.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not the same issue. When attempting to scan the QR codes through the camera of an iPhone, the message received is No usable data found (I appreciate that my screen grab has no data input in the business card fields, as I removed all the information for the sake of anonymity.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution was typing out the fields from scratch, there must have been something lurking in my initial copy and paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The vCard feature on InDesign's QR code generator is fixed at v2.1, which is old and does not properly encode upper ASCII characters (such as accented letters). Other problems with the iPhone code reader have been reported with increasing frequency; it would seem that Apple's implementation is moving further and further from this old standard.

The only real solution, and the recommended one, is to use the plain text mode to structure and encode v3 (or v4, if you insist) vCard and other data types. The ID tool works very well in this mode and your data is completely safe from scraping or collection by "free" web services.

There are also resolution issues; the grid should be at least 1mm and preferably a little larger even with high-resolution reproduction. If you're packing in a lot of data (making a fine grid) and then reproducing it at a small size, iPhones in particular seem to have trouble resolving  them (but all devices and scanners need a minimum clear resolution, anyway).

This primer has pretty much all you need to know: https://nitrosyncretic.com/DPR/dpr_qrcodes.php

Happy to answer any questions it might leave you with.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.0 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines