Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calibri font missing on new iMac

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, thanks for your support.

I am an amateur editing a club newsletter with InDesign (Creative Cloud 2015). It's a really simple four-page document that I export as a PDF and send to a small local printer. I inherited the InDesign file from the previous editor three years ago; I simply copy the file and sub out the content each month. The file has always used Calibri and Times fonts.

Today I started my first newsletter edit with a new iMac (OS 10.11). Uh-oh: All the Calibri text is pink-highlighted.

I'm not a design pro at all, and I don't know how fonts work.

Other factors:

• On my old iMac, I had Office:Mac 2008.
  • I don't feel strongly about staying with Calibri if there's an easy way to switch to something else.
  • I see the Typekit app in CC 2015. Can it help me?

Can you give me simple steps to activate some clean sans serif font in this file, so I can move on?

Thanks!

Sylvia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Very easily, actually. On the Type menu select Find Font.... Highlight Calibri in the list and choose the replacement you want in the list below. Check the "Redefine Style When Changing All" box, too. Click Change All. You may have to run a few replace operations, replacing each style or weight of Calibri with Museo (e.g. Calibri Italic, Bold, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You either don't have the font, or you have it and it's not active. First, do a search and tell us if you have it. If you have your old computer, you may need to copy it over to the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migintosh, how and where do I search? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Mac, select your hard drive, hold the Command key and type the F key ("F" for find) or go to File>Find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migintosh, done, not found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calibri is not installed with Adobe products. It's actually installed with Microsoft Office; it's the official default font of Microsoft Office. It's for sale from Fonts.com here Calibri® Font Family - Fonts.com‌ (which is also linked to from Microsoft's Calibri info page http://www.microsoft.com/Typography/Fonts/family.aspx?FID=287, though I suggest just reinstalling Microsoft Office to get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pariah, so InDesign was using the Calibri font in my copy of Office? Thanks for your explanation. I could install Office 2008 on the new computer... if it had a CD drive, which it doesn't.

Is there a font in InDesign or Typekit that I'm already paying for that I can use instead of Calibri?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sylvia.

Actually, you have LOTs of fonts available to you. Because you have InDesign CC, you automatically get access to the Adobe Typekit fonts. Go here Full Library | Typekit and log in with your Creative Cloud credentials. Any font with a tiny cloud icon in its bottom can be used on your desktop (the brackets are for Web use). Try the Museo Sans family. I think you'll like it at a good substitute for Calibri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pariah, thank you, that worked! Have synced four of the Museo fonts with my InDesign and started swapping the fonts in my newsletter file. Looking good. Is there an easy way to replace all the Calibri with Museo at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very easily, actually. On the Type menu select Find Font.... Highlight Calibri in the list and choose the replacement you want in the list below. Check the "Redefine Style When Changing All" box, too. Click Change All. You may have to run a few replace operations, replacing each style or weight of Calibri with Museo (e.g. Calibri Italic, Bold, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pariah, done, your directions made the switch a piece of cake. I'm glad to have a solution that uses current, cloud-based software. Future-proof. Thanks from me and the local Audubon Society chapter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Migintosh, thanks, I did not know this was possible. Will try! Because Pariah's solution worked so well, and I don't really want to put 7-year-old MS software on my new Mac, I'm going to pass on this option. But it's good to learn about wireless machine-to-machine transfers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internet search engines are wonderful things. One official source for the Calibri fonts can be found here:

Download Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Another option here:

[Pirate link removed by moderator (B.R.)]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen, yes, they are. Thanks for pointing out these helpful sites. I'm going to pass on the MS Download option, since I'd have to install 2008 Word on my new computer to use that (see edited reply to Migintosh, above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lucky you! hands down top of the worst font ever list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - that was an unnecessary and rather insulting dig at someone who is learning something completely new. We are all here to help each other.

Regards,

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, i think your reading comprehension is poor and you sense of humour even worse. unnecessary, yes guilty as charged —unless they needed some humour but you seem to be the judge of that. dig at them, er no that was a dig at the designer of Calibri and it's ubiquitous overuse in contemporary culture. Thanks for the affirmation, I have provided thousands of unpaid hours as a volunteer on forums and IRL managing different programs, I don't need convincing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can now download the missing fonts here: https://www.rmtweb.co.uk/calibri-and-cambria-fonts-for-mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much.  It worked perfectly.  Use the Mac's "Font Book" application which I didn't even know it existed. Right click Calibri file, select open with Font Book, pop up, ask for "Install", click on it.  Close Adobe and open again, Calibri is on the list.  Just perfect.  Well deserved multiple stars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines