• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I convert a document to a book file?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to take an existing document with 40+ chapters and export each chapter as it's own file?  I have a client that wants to create a new book using different chapters from previous books he's published.  It would be helpful if I had a seperate file for each chapter so I could build a Book File but other than doing a lot of copy and pasting I can't figure out a simpler way to pick and choose what chapters I need.

Currently, some of his books are formatted as book file and others are just document indd files.   I hope this makes sense.  Thank you for any help  you can offer!!!

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Essentially, all of the content needs to be individual InDesign documents. Once they are broken up, you can pull them all together into a new book.

I would just open up an existing file and remove any content that you don't need. Then save that with a logical name. Repeat that process until all of the files are individual InDesign documents.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially, all of the content needs to be individual InDesign documents. Once they are broken up, you can pull them all together into a new book.

I would just open up an existing file and remove any content that you don't need. Then save that with a logical name. Repeat that process until all of the files are individual InDesign documents.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - that's how I would do it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb.  This is what I have been doing so thank you for confirming that I wasn't overlooking another option. I was just hoping for a magical way to do it faster.  Thank you for your help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some helpful script for "cut" and create a files from one file - https://creativepro.com/free-script-splits-long-indesign-files/ 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi George,

WOW!  This sounds like a wonderful option.  I'll check it out.  I'm new to using scripts but am becoming very facinated and excited at all the possibilities out there and the wonderful script creators!!  Thank you for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines