• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I lock the size of a text box but still move it?

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love mathmatical accuracy for spacing my text and find that using text boxes is the fastest/easiest way for me to accomplish this.

A "1" box denotes one inch (e.g.).

The problem I find is that sometimes, while moving the boxes, their sizes will change (e.g. .987x.987), which can screw up a single chapter in a book or the entire book, if I'm not paying attention.

Is there any way to lock the size of the box but still make it capable of being moved?

I have a long explanation of why I do this instead of guides. This works better for my flow.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

This is a function of the object style, which probably varies from chapter to chapter file since you may never have defined it.

Create a specific, named Object Style for each of these objects you like to use. Then make sure it is identical in all your work files, which you can do with synchronization through a Book file, or by placing an example and then resetting the style to match it.

Ask away if any of that doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the short answer is "no." You can lock an object against all changes, or unlock it for all purposes, but there is no selective locking of things like size, line weight, colors, font etc.

If you use some care in selecting an object for positioning, it should not change any other characteristic.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I was afraid of. The thing I'm seeing is that if I'm moving from one chapter to another, the bounding on the box changes, making it more that I have to rebuild them with each chapter instead of being able to load them in the way I would paragraph styles.

Too bad, but thanks for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a function of the object style, which probably varies from chapter to chapter file since you may never have defined it.

Create a specific, named Object Style for each of these objects you like to use. Then make sure it is identical in all your work files, which you can do with synchronization through a Book file, or by placing an example and then resetting the style to match it.

Ask away if any of that doesn't make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Object Styles before but love the idea. I already use a book, as this is 200+ pages in each document I'm creating. I will have to play with this more, as it appears to be something I could utilize.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've played with this a little, and you, sir, have won the prize. This is awesome, and I am going to be working with this more.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can't relate to your apparent workflow at all, I would say that the size of an InDesign text frame doesn't change when the frame is moved. If you mean that you might inadvertently resize the frame when attempting only to move it, that I could see, I suppose, even if it doesn't follow with someone so insistent upon mathematical precision.

The only other thing I could say that might address your question is that you could use Object Styles to enforce frame sizes and provide a quick and easy fix for any that become missized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in the engineering department and am making technical documentation.

Much of the time, I move them with the arrow keys (as I have experienced the change in size otherwise), and with using ctrl + C/V to go from one to another should NOT change the size of these boxes, however, I have found this to be the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Formost Fuji Corporate , can you post a screen capture showing an example? I’m wondering why you need separate text frames—why not use Paragraph Styles with Space Above or Space below to handle consistent spacing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an example (in standard, not metric) of what I use in documentation

FormostFujiCorporate_0-1660676170964.png

However, sometimes when cutting and pasting between documents, I could have... for example .5 look identical, however, its dimensions change to .485" x .485", which can be seen in the menu bar here:

FormostFujiCorporate_1-1660676285916.png

These, are obviously accurate, as I already input the correct numbers to fix the initial issue, but it throws everything off pretty quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a difference in an outline. Box dimensions change with the application of an outer stroke; perhaps the different definitions are changing or deleting an outline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be the difference between aligning a stroke on the frame to inside, outide, or center when you have Dimensions Include Stroke Weight selected, and those differences will be reflected in the "real" text area inside the frame as well. You would also see this sort of difference when moving a frame from document to document when one has include stroke weight selected and the other does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is 'no stroke' w/ paper fill so it's easy to grab but not visible except for the number, which gets rid of the snapping to the outline.

James Gifford was 100% accurate on the suggestion for Object Styles, only, it's necessary to not just add the size, as necessary, there is an auto-size option, which will stop it from changing sizes, no matter what. Now, I can just have ONE box that will do everything I need.

THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines