• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I render a paragraph border BEHIND paragraph shade?

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.25.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-05 at 9.26.36 AM.pngI'm trying to set up a style where I have a paragraph shaded, with an offset paragraph border. (trying to replicate an existing design which breaks every time text reflows using a paragraph style). 
I want the paragraph shade to render in front of the differently coloured paragraph border, so it appears the border passes behind the shading.
Is there a way to do this, or will it only render the border in front of the shading? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kraeg,

if you apply shading and border to the same paragraph the border will always be rendered in front of the shading.

If you have two paragraphs, one for the border and a second one following for the shading, the border of the first paragraph will be rendered behind the shading of the next paragraph:

ParagraphBorderFollowedByParagraphShading.PNG

Alternatively use a table's text cell with cell strokes and a paragraph with shading:

TableCellWithParagraphShading.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe, i'm trying to avoid using two items. I'd like to keep this in the textbox, so using stylesheets is the method I was hoping for. 
It's too bad it doesn't allow to switch positions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what is the point to hiding the border behind the shading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you see the images above, you can see what i'm trying to achieve. The point being that is the design direction selected and i'm attempting to recreate it using styles, rather than layered boxes. I ended up using Laubenders advice, and setting it up as a table with a single cell with shading on the text within the cell. Offsetting the text using a cell style achieved exactly what I was looking for... the text created using styles (mostly) but also inline with the rest of the text so it gets pushed with the text as it reflows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, didn't really look at the image the first time. I see the problem now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines