• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can place text in text frame but cannot place it in text frame when holding shift

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoJa15_0-1638228844415.png

I have two text frames as seen above. If I place text it fills the large rectangle and flows to the small one on the right. If I hold shift when placing a text file (to generate extra pages) instead of filling the large rectangle it creates a new rectangle the size of the page and the height of where the cursor is. It then also generates new pages.

How can I place text into the large rectangle, flow to the small rectangle, and then generate new pages doing the same thing if there is more text?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Doesn't autoflow only work with primary text frames?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't autoflow only work with primary text frames?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am super new to InDesign. If it only works with a primary text frame then I am out of luck right? The way I understand it is a primary text frame is a full page text frame to the margins. I would not be able to flow text between different text frames and create new pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I think you pointed me in the right direction!! I moved the text frames to the master page and changed the large rectangle to a primary text frame. Now the text flows perfect from the large rectangle to the small right rectangle text frame and also creates new pages if there is additional text.

One problem I have now is that all the text comes in one font size. Is there a way to specify that any text in a text frame has to be a certain font size? For example the large rectangle I want text in there to be 60 pt, and all text in the small right rectangle text frame to be 24pt. 

Thank you so much for your help by the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines