• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit in InDesign – multiple files – no master

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using InDesign CC 2018 (13.0.1) on a mac. I am editing a file I created yesterday...placed some new images and now am getting a circle with diagonal line instead of a cursor. This is happening in any file I open. I have worked in InDesign already today.

Nothing is locked, I'm not using master pages.

Please help! I can't work!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure you're not on a locked layer? What happens if you crate a brand new document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Layer is not locked. Brand new document does the same thing. I tried to get a full screen shot to show you the icon, but the icon didn't show up.

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.53.36 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.53.48 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.54.12 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try resetting your preferences. This is not normal behavior. http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure isn't. Resetting preferences worked! Thank you!!!

I think I'll leave this unanswered in case anyone knows why this would happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pritcharddesign:

It sounds like Chad correctly identified this as a preferences issue based on:

1. a brand new file won't have a locked layer,
  2. the Pencil/Just Say No icon is associated with locked layer, and
  3. locked layers show a padlock to the right of the visibility icon.

The preferences files can corrupt over time. When InDesign begins to exhibit unexpected behavior, it's time to remove them.

The only thing I have to add to this discussion for others reading this thread later is that when you lock items within a layer, a lock icon does not appear in front of a closed layer. But it also does not cause the Pencil/Just Say No icon to appear either.

I'd recommend marking Chad's answer as correct so that the other forum volunteers can focus on the truly unanswered questions.

~Barb

Screenshot 2017-12-12 07.16.12.pngScreenshot 2017-12-12 07.16.22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Barbbinder

I figured if this thread was marked correct, people wouldn't read it. But I don't do these forums often, so maybe you're right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara is right; it's okay to mark Chad's answer correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this hundreds of times if I have another document open with all of the layers locked, and then I open another document. I can produce this consistently, and produced it just now to take this screenshot.

I opened a document with locked layers, then opened this document. My fix is to change from the Selection tool to the Direct Selection tool and back again. Probably any tool will work. Quitting and restarting also works.

I don't know if this was your situation, but it is one thing that can happen that would cause this.

As to the screen shot and getting the cursor to show, I am on a Mac and used Grab with a timed window. Then I copied a small portion and pasted it into this forum window. Is this what your cursor looks like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My layers weren't locked at all. My icon looked like that without the pencil. And showed up in any file I opened, even a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jane:

You are totally correct about that bug. I just reproduced it following your steps, as long as I had the Selection or Direct Selection tool active when I hit Cmd Opt N. Type or Page, for example, didn't do it. I did not try it with all the tools.

First time I've ever seen this, but I have to ask you—why would you ever lock all the layers in a file once, much less on so many (hundreds of) different files? I lock layers and/or objects, but only on underlying layers that I might inadvertently move if I'm sloppy with a selection.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines