• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import a docx file in Indesign Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation

New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do it everytime but this time, I can't.

When i import a word .docx file, I have a error message :

"Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation."

I tried with a rtf file or doc file, I cut and paste on an new docx file... and it is the same...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Ok, found it (after I uninstall everything :D)

I got a "é" in my access path. Indesign is not calibrated for French people 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, found it (after I uninstall everything :D)

I got a "é" in my access path. Indesign is not calibrated for French people 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elle,

nevertheless, importing that file should work.

Could you share a copy of the docx file; it could contain only a single word?

Was the "é" in the folder name where the docx file was positioned?

What's the exact version of your InDesign?
What operating system version?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Cannot place this file. No filter found for requested operation." I'm having the same problem with a Word doc, any Word doc, and even a TXT file. No weird characters in the filename or path. Also tried to place without checking the "Show import options" and got the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign, and on what platform/OS? Are the files on anything but a local drive — network, cloud, etc.?

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are on a network drive that I use all day long. I can open the Word docs without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the situation above, I closed the (untitled) document after I got the error repeatedly, with different Word and text files. A second after I closed it, a message appeared, "Placing  MS Office Word document." It hangs on that message, but offers a Cancel button. Clicked the Cancel button, and it's still hanging several minutes later. I had to force quit the app.

I'm using InDesign 17.42 on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-opened the template, and tried "Place" again. It's working now, but the question is, "Why did this happen?" I see that other users have had the same problem placing artwork as well. It's rather concerning, as I'm creating a template for someone else, who is a less experienced InDesign user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @EsJayKayToo ,

"Why did this happen?"

because you are working on a network drive/share.

InD expects every used resource to be stored locally and therefore having immediate access.

But your InD must wait until the copying of your word file to your computer is completed, but InD does not wait. So you get that message.

Try to copy the word file to your computer beforehand and then try to place it in your InD file.

Does it work?

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A network drive should not present any problem at all. If, however, these files are on cloud based server and only downloaded on demand it would be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run CC and its predecessors on a LAN, with file and print servers, for many years without a single problem I can think of.

Cloud file systems are very different, and some newer network models based on cloud-like tech might impose issues. But not "networks" as a whole — not well-engineered ones, at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. The idea that networks can't be used goes back to the 1990s and it was BS then, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only fix I can think of is to delete your InDesign preferences, which often clears buggy settings that can cause strange behavior like this.

Here's one guide to that, but it's been updated to v19/2024 and might not match your older version. If not, it's easy to find "reset InDesign prefs/preferences" by search.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/reset-indesign-preferences-and-other-troubleshoo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines