• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import PDF, Pages, Word, or RTF. Why would Indesign do that?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the 2019 version of Indesign. And to my frustration, it won't let me import any of the docs in my title.

If I try to import Pages, I get this: “…Adobe Indesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.”

I get it the same with one of the others--can't remember which. I also get a message to convert the doc into an Indesign doc. How can I convert to an Indesign doc if the app prevents me from uploading ANY doc?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Sounds like you're trying to open them, not place them. They should all place with the exception of Apple Pages. You'll have to save them as RTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let's be clear about it. Tell us exactly what you're doing with those files. File > Open? File > Place?

InDesign won't open those file formats. Start a new file, then use File > Place and navigate to a PDF or Word .doc. Select it and click the Open button. You should now have a loaded cursor. Click on the page. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're trying to open them, not place them. They should all place with the exception of Apple Pages. You'll have to save them as RTF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't it astounding that ID can't import Pages text files? Is there any rational reason?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Isn't it astounding that ID can't import Pages text files? Is there any rational reason?

Yes--for the limited number of users of Pages that need to convert to InDesign, it's probably not worth taking the programmers' time to code the translation. The same is true for Microsoft Publisher. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Creamer Training:

*"Yes--for the limited number of users of Pages that need to convert to
InDesign, it's probably not worth taking the programmers' time to code the
translation. The same is true for Microsoft Publisher." *

Microsoft Publisher is a layout program; no surprise that another layout
program
wouldn't import its files (one exception: PageMaker, which Adobe bought).

Pages is a word processor supplied free with every new Mac.
If ID won't import from a widespread word processor,
I suspect corporate rivalries at users' expense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, there aren't enough Pages users needing to import into InDesign for Adobe to create an import filter. If you take the percentage of Mac users overall and then take the users only using Pages, the number isn't that great. Then add in who is responsible when new versions of Pages mess up the import. 

Also, I feel that Apple likes to think of Pages as more than a simple word processor. Just look at the templates they offer and examples of the work they display. Pages can do some nice layouts. So, I don't see Apple developing an import filter anytime soon either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's quite the hot take on the situation.

I have seen very, very few requests for bringing Pages files into InDesign and every one of them was satisfied with saving it as RTF and then placing it. That is the suggestion I made three years and four days ago and it is, to the best of my knowledge, still valid.

This is hardly Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID can't import Pages text files? Is there any rational reason

It’s not a cross platform format? On Mac OS the conversion and placing could be scripted via AppleScript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of free InDesign tutorials supplied via the Adobe Creative App yon would find useful.

Adobe InDesign Learn & Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I think Bob is right, you are trying to open those files instead of placing them. Please check out this help article for more details about the supported formats in InDesign: Supported file formats for InDesign CS5.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via PDF, you can import with  a third-party tool, such as Markzware PDF2DTP. This converts multi-page PDFs of any sort (even those from Pages and such) into fully editable InDesign layouts with live text and the works. Here is a recent interview with a happy customer of ours:

The Simon Group - Marketing agency using PDF2DTP - PDF to InDesign - YouTube

Friendly regards,

David Dilling

of Markzware, makers of PDF2DTP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David,

Not sure how this solution relates to the issue been described?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob -- this link is informative.

For some reason Adobe sent me an email saying the "correct answer"

was Bob Levine's "Sounds like you're trying to open them, not place them."

This 2019 answer may have been correct to a query posted at the time,

but was patently not a correct answer to my question.

Oh well, at least it's confirmed that Adobe spurns Pages

(which I don't particularly like, but some of my clients do;

neither do I like the klutzy new version of Word I was forced
to buy 
when my old iMac died).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's answer was correct to the original post. You will need to start your own post when you have a different question, regardless of how similar they are. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It‘s been posted in feature requests, so you could vote for it—only 7 votes in 4 years, so I’m guessing there’s not much chance.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/35826985-im...

As I mentioned above it could be easily scripted with Applescript—if something can be scripted it usually doesn’t  get added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines