• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't move objects in inDesign

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my InDesign was working fine. finished up a file. opened up a different file, but when I pasted in a graphic, I realized that I couldn't move it. went back to the first file I had been in and I was no longer able to move anything there either! I updated to InDesign 2017. i'm on a windows 10 os. thanks for any feed back.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Fortunately I figured it out just restart your computer, let me know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to delete the preferences and the cache of InDesign

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did and that did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share a Screen Recording and/or your files?

Tip: You could make a simple Screen Recording with this solution:

https://viewedit.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem but on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately I figured it out just restart your computer, let me know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. sorry I should've responded sooner. I shut down the computer, not just logon/logoff and gave the computer a rest for the night. came back the following morning and all was well. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could anyone resolve this on a mac? I'm now experiencing this. I've reinstalled indesign, deleted cache preferences, called Adobe tech support which said it's a user issue and I'll have to go to Mac, so then I totally reformatted my hard drive reinstalled the os x . I then opened up Indesign and the issue is STILL THERE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to export a IDML file and to open this again in the same InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't because it does it with multiple files. Should I still try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, so it shines that it is more an Id problem that a problem of the file itself. But please, try it.

And you are sure that you don't have locked the layer or the objects itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No layers are locked. I tried the export. The issue remains 😕 I've been through 3 chat sessions with Adobe Indesign tech support as well. It keeps going back to not moving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still the case?

Do you have this behavior on every machine/every installation of InDesign?

​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Casey,

Are you on Mac 10.12.4, if yes, please try turning off GPU performance in Preferences dialog:

Picture1GPU.png

Thanks

-Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but my GPU Performance have all along been turned off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Indesign Preference, this will solve the problem
Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. pop up will come
Click Yes when asked if you want to 
delete preference files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I just experienced the same thing, but discovered it was only happening while i was simultaneously working on large photoshop files. While i was waiting for them to load i was working in an Indesign file and could not move any pasted graphics or text. 

Once the files finished opening in photoshop, then the indesign program ran back to normal, this happened 2-3 times.

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a darn bug that Adobe has never been able to resolve. Trashing the preferences is a waste of time ... means you have to go through all your settings again and set them the way you want the app to work. It seems to happen every time that Windows wants to update the system. Many applications go into cardiac arrest mode until one restarts the machine. Is it Adobe's problem, or Windows problem? The blame can go either way. But Windows gets fussy if you don't want to update right away and probably throws a monkey wrench into the works to force users to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines