• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Open Book File or See Book File Icon

Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm generating a book comprised of multiple documents (*.indd). Consequently, I created a book file (*.indb) without incident. Yesterday and earlier this morning, I could open the book file and see the opened icon. It was in the way, so I minimized it, and put it in the right panel accordingly. For a different reason, I closed all of my document files, and then opened them back up again. I included the book file during the opening process, but I can't see the icon (open or minimized). Any insight?

BTW, the book file is still in my folder/directory. I know that it's there. I tried opening it via File > Open from within InDesign, as well as  through my file explorer window by double clicking, all to no avail.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

UI = User Interface (for InDesign).

Try making the main InDesign screen rather small, and drag it around to see if the Book pane is hiding behind it somewhere. Again, this pane ONLY appears when you have an INDB file open.

Other than that, all I can think is that it might have gotten positioned off the screen. No simple way to retrieve it except to delete InDesign's preferences, which is a little drastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

James:

Thanks again. I tried what you suggested with no effect. However, you gave me some ideas. I ended up working my way down the Windows menu, and lo and behold, there was the book file in a separate section on the menu located underneath Utilities (not part of Utilities). I selected the book file and the panel came up successfully. All set. I didn't know the book file would be located there. I never had to do this before. I appreciate your help and ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Book dialog ONLY appears when you have a Book file open. It is not persistent otherwise... which both makes sense and can be annoying.

You've likely "lost" the Book dialog behind some other UI element. Use the Workspace menu to set the UI to a standard form, then open the INDB file. The Book pane should reappear, somewhere.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James:

Thank you.

[1] I think my book file is open, but I can't say for sure.

[2] I toggled through all of the workspace menu options to no avail.

[3] What does "UI" stand for?

[4] In case it matters, this all started upon me trying to create an Index. I have Book checked at the top of the Index panel, and the book file's name shows up at the bottom of this panel. I just can't see the book panel itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UI = User Interface (for InDesign).

Try making the main InDesign screen rather small, and drag it around to see if the Book pane is hiding behind it somewhere. Again, this pane ONLY appears when you have an INDB file open.

Other than that, all I can think is that it might have gotten positioned off the screen. No simple way to retrieve it except to delete InDesign's preferences, which is a little drastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James:

Thanks again. I tried what you suggested with no effect. However, you gave me some ideas. I ended up working my way down the Windows menu, and lo and behold, there was the book file in a separate section on the menu located underneath Utilities (not part of Utilities). I selected the book file and the panel came up successfully. All set. I didn't know the book file would be located there. I never had to do this before. I appreciate your help and ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't aware that the Book pane could be toggled with the Windows menu options. I don't see it on my Windows v18.1 setup except at the bottom of the Windows menu, and trying to toggle it off closes it. That's consistent with observed behavior: if you have a Book file open, you get the Book pane whether you really want it in the way or not; if you close the pane, the file closes with it. If you open multiple files, you'll see they're all listed here, too, with similar behavior. There isn't really a "windows" control for Book.

But glad you found the darn thing at last!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines