• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't overwrite pdf file (says file is already open when it isn't)

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey gang.

I just upgraded CC - including InDesign 2020. Now I cannot overwrite any pdf that I make.

I can save one, just fine. Then if I have to make changes, InDesign won't let me save overtop of the preexisting pdf. 

And no, the file is not open.

Thoughts?

M

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marisa,

I think this was already reported today or yesterday.

Must be a OS X specific bug related to perhaps Catalina OS X 10.5.

I have no issues with that with InDesign 2020 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A temp fix for this should be: Close the PDF viewing app, Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro ( maybe also others ) before exporting and overwriting the PDF with a new export action from InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it a ID 2020 bug. Prior versions worked fine. Problem is ID isn't releasing the file lock when writing is complete. For me it was workflow hotfolder not taking file -- because workflow sees lock and thinks file is still writing, so waits. Only solution is to close ID. Might work on Windows, not sure, but for sure new bug on Mac.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be something else going wrong. I tried it in ID 2020 on my MacBook Pro (macOS 10.4.6). No problems at all overwriting a PDF file when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Local? I'll guess that's why it works. My example is over an SMB share, which has worked fine for years. Went back to ID 14.0.3 to get work done, all is fine on the same workstation, same SMB share to a Windows server. No doubt a flaw in latest version. Try an SMB share and see if it works. I'm also MacOS 10.4.6 Mojave. I have voted at the bug report link as well.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here in Acrobat PRO. We have tried everyting.
We only work with network drives so i cannot say for localy stored files. We use windows 10 and we haven't found a solution since reported by one of our users more than one year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows, if you have the file selected in Windows File Explorer, you'll get that error message even if the file isn't open anywhere.

Think of it as Windows "using" the file, even when it's just being highlighted in explorer. Happens especially when your view is set to show the Preview window.

This is mainly a Windows bug, but Adobe could develop some way to let us write to a file that is selected in Windows explorer. File Navigator. Whatever it's now called!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bevi!

that seems to be the problem indeed. As you open the file, it naturally stays selected in File Explorer but if you select another file or go out of the folder the Save fonction works.

In the end, from a logical perspective, if it's only acrobat that presents the problem i wouldn't say it's a windows bug...

cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple other non-Adobe programs have the same issue.

Probably MS changed something that neither Adobe or these other manufacturers have adjusted to.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. but:
I use mac and the Data are on a SMB Server.

The file is not open (but is selected in Finder) and Indesign can not overwrite it (dosn't matter if I export it as Jpg, png, pdf ... and so on) but the process works successfully using Photoshop.

I use Indesign all day long and it delays my workflow.
INDD Version: 17.0.1

Photoshop Version: 23.0.0

I appreciate for a solution.

Regards,

HamiD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is not open (but is selected in Finder)

Deselect it. I think that is the cause of the issue, I got the the same a long time ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works when its not selected, but I want it to be overwrited when the file is selected.

(I need to update lots of files every day, so I must open/import the file, deselect it and then overwrite it but the same process works fine with photoshop without deselect the file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines