• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't place images, add shapes/text boxes, or double-click to edit text

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what's going on, but InDesign turned on me today. I consider myself an advanced user with 12+ years experience, using daily in my work for 7+ years… and I am baffled.

I am suddenly unable to:

• Place images (PSD, JPG, TIFF, etc.). The image appears in the cursor, but when I click to place, nothing happens. Over and over.
  • Add shapes via Rectangle, Ellipse, or Polygon Tool — when I attempt, I end up selecting all objects on my page.
  • Add text boxes. Same as above, selects all objects on page.
  • Cannot double-click to edit text — typically from the black cursor (V), I am able to double-click on a text box and it will select all text, or bring up the typing cursor. That's not happening. I end up moving the text box entirely.
  • There are probably other things happening that I'm not yet aware of, because I've been stuck on these.

I have:

• Tried a fresh document
  • Restarted InDesign
  • Cleared Preferences while launching InDesign (Shift+Command+Control+Option)
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign
  • Restarted my computer

It's possible I pressed a key on my keyboard that somehow put it in a mode I am unaware of… but seems unlikely. Screenshot for reference, doubt anything can be told by it.  Please help!

screenshot.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle,

We are sorry to hear about this. Along with the details asked by Derek, would request if you can check how InDesign works in Root account: How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support.

If that works fine, it could be something related to permissions. Please follow the steps shared here to repair permissions for Adobe Folders: https://indd.adobe.com/view/d6f78247-7e41-4982-b380-68c0d465fd91

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle,

Any luck resolving this? I'm having same issue. Just happened out of the blue in the middle of working on a document I'd been working on for a week. Same issue with any ID document I open. Can't select, edit or move anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it InDesign or the document, in other words: does it happen with every document and with new documents as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every document. New as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using any third party plug-ins (either directly for InDesign or with your Mac in general)? If so disable them and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines