Exit

Can't Release Anchor--HELPPP!!!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS3(5.0.2.640) Windows sp2

I've written about this before, thought it was solved, but it isn't.

I inserted grouped images into a numbered list, and anchored them according to instructions; first making place for the group by adding a few plain lines under the numbered item where I wanted the group, then inserting the group, then cutting it, placing the insertion point in the place I wanted the group to appear, pasting the group back, and voila...lovely anchored group. However, I've come to the conclusion that if I do that, I'd better realize it's FOREVER, because I can't seem to extricate parts of the group in case I want to change their order.

InDesign Help says to go to Object > Anchored Object > Release but my 'release' is GREYED OUT! Why? and nothing else that I've tried, works.

Could it be, that there is a frame around the entire page? I tried to delete that frame but when I try to, everything on the page isdeleted, and when I try to move that frame away, everything on the page moved with it.

I would very, very much appreciate if someone would try to answer me...it seems that I will have to repeat my work, if I can't get to the bottom of this.

Thank you so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> CS3(5.0.2.640) Windows sp2

First thing to do is update to 5.0.4.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check it is on the top layer

Check if a frame has been grouped with an image

GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same behavior in 5.0.4.

Here's a way to work around it. Select the anchored object with the selection tool, then cut and paste to the pasteboard. Make your edits, then put it back in the text where you want it.

This only seems to be an issue with Inline or Above Line objects. Converting them to custom positioning makes them releasable, too.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, If you cut it and paste it elsewhere, you will usually see an second frame where your original frame was that it was being 'anchored' to - just delete that gohost frame and paste your object back in where you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the answers, people.

Bob, I don't know how to update.

Alastair, there were no layers.

Peter, your solution worked!!! I thought I had tried that myself, yet when I followed your instructions, the results were fine.

I suppose the greyed-out 'release' on Anchored Objects is a bug.

You people are great, I appreciate you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help > Updates

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Ken,

but now I remember what happens...whenever I try to run that update, I get an error message halfway through that says it encountered a problem and can't continue, or something of the sort. When I choose the option to retry, I get the message again shortly afterwards.

Do you think this is because I have other applications running at the same time as the update?

At any rate I'm soon getting a computer upgrade, so maybe that will solve the problem.

Thanks again everyone!

PS Alistair of course I meant, there is only one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> encountered a
> problem and can't continue, or something of the sort.

I don't know, but someone else might know if you could come up with the
actual error message. Easy enough to find out, just try to update. I
think it would be important to know whether it's failing to download the
update or failing to install the update.

If I had to guess, it sounds like some kind of network issue. I have the
free AVG antivirus program on my wife's computer. It should be updating
itself every day with new virus definitions, but it fails periodically
when it can't make a (good enough, maybe?) connection. Maybe something
similar is happening to you, or maybe you're on a network, and your IT
people don't have it set up to allow ID updates.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a network, and perhaps it isn't set up for ID updates as you say, because my computer is the only one out of about fifty with ID in the first place. Will my IT guy know what to do?

Thanks for answering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea, and you still haven't told us what the error message is.

With 50 computers with ID, I'd be surprised if they weren't allowing
updates.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! I meant, mine is the only one with ID among the 50 computers.

I'm rushing to finish something before leaving work; I'll post the error message before Monday.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot upgrade my ID either. I am on 5.01 and the IT department have tried upgrading to other versions it always crashes. The IT department is either unable or unwilling to resolve the issue.

Ensure you have all Windows updates and and closed all other applications.

In theory downloading this file http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4030 then running the .exe will patch it.

GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2008 Nov 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

Unbelievably, the update just took! ...I was running it again in order to catch the error message that always comes up, but voila, instead I received a message that installation was complete, and when I checked, there it was, 5.0.4.682.

Maybe it knew I was complaining about it, and was afraid.

Thanks so much and have a good week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All...
Along similar lines as Susan, but no happy results yet!
I'm working in CS3 (5.0.04) on a PC. I have a crossword puzzle (originally a table before anchoring) anchored inline in my document. When I went to unanchor it, the option was just like Susan's--greyed out!

So, I followed Peter's directions, cutting and pasting to the pasteboard to try to make my edits. But no luck. It doesn't give me table options, won't let me unanchor, won't let me select anything other than the frame that holds it, and what's more, looks like an *image* in typical display - gritty edges, etc. Which it isn't! I built it for this doc...*sigh*

I'd love any ideas...I really don't want to rebuild this beast! Is there hope?

Thank you all!

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2008 Nov 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I'm embarrassed...how do I post it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't. Try a site like yousendit.com.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob. That makes more sense. What address should I send it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been following this, but I suppose Peter will pop in sooner or
later.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob and Laura,

Just getting to my email now -- accident on the beltway last night slowed us down a bit. :)

Laura should post the file on a server (zip it first), then post a link to it here.

I should have network access again around 4 pm eastern time.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you arrived safely. It was great seeing you yesterday.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

For you lurkers, Bob allowed me into the inner sanctum to look at his system yesterday. He's a very cordial host, but that's all I'm going to reveal here. :)

There's nothing like a little rain after dark around Washington to make a trip interesting.

Thanks, again for the hospitality, and you'll be gald to know we've made it safely to North Carolina.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for being willing to take a look at it. You can find it at www.canonpress.com/LookHere/Chapter21.zip. The anchor that won't unanchor is on the last page of the doc. I also included the blank crossword it was built from to the right on the pasteboard.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving (I won't look for any feedback until next week :))!
Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an anchored object...it's an inline object.

Single right click it and choose anchored object> options.

But I would simply select it, and then from the control panel choose
select content. Then cut it to the clipboard and paste it back to the
document outside the frame.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines