Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select objects or edit text on newly inserted page

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

I'm very new to InDesign and have some beginner-level experience with other Adobe products (Illustrator and Photoshop). I am using this annual report template to create a document. I can load the file in CS6 and edit existing text with no issues. However, when I add additional pages by going to Layout -> Pages -> Insert Pages, all of the text and objects on the newly inserted page are locked and I can't edit anything. The "unlock all on spread" option under "Objects" is grayed out, I changed my general preferences to allow selection of locked objects, I checked to make sure none of the layers are locked, and I don't see an unlock icon anywhere when I hover over the upper left of any individual text box (all solutions I found in other threads when I googled this).

Not sure if maybe this is just a limitation of working with a template (in general or specifically this one), that they don't actually let you add new pages and you have to work with the existing ones? Any pointers (in amateur-speak) would be appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Master pages that are based on other masters will have a letter icon on them to indicate the master they're based on, just like document pages.

Master objects can be overridden on the document page by holding the Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) + Shift keys and clicking on them with the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - figured out how to view the master pages themselves, hoping that maybe that was the source of this issue and it was propogating to the new pages - and everything on those is also locked - "unlock all on spread" is still grayed out, but none of the layers are locked so I'm still at a loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have masters based on masters? If so, you need to go to the parent master page.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure - I have six different masters labeled A-F and the items on all of them are locked. This is looking under the "pages" menu on the right side of the screen. Is there someone else I would go to see if I have more masters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Master pages that are based on other masters will have a letter icon on them to indicate the master they're based on, just like document pages.

Master objects can be overridden on the document page by holding the Cmd (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) + Shift keys and clicking on them with the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to leave a note that this thread is still helpful. Found it from Google today; Peter Spier's response solved an issue that has been plauging me for weeks.

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! I was looking all over the web for this function.

THANK YOU ^__^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!! after trying for an hour you arrayed the light I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a legend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^Saved me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still relevant in 2021 December. Thank you Spier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this:

And it worked for me.

Thanks Peter Spier@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much for this answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved machine from flying out the window. Thank you for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! Had trouble with this for weeks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newbies are so funny

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me why I cannot select items on an InDesign CC page when there are NO Master pages, AND, the items on the page are not "locked"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sally,

the whole layer might be locked.
Just check the Layers panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, Thank you very much!  That was it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant.  I've spent that last 3 hours trying to work this out.  Thanks a load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! finally a solution. Ive been in trouble with this for weeks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines