• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't sync InDesign settings to new computer

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent a couple hours now trying to sync my InDesign settings. I can't find the sync buttons, Adobe Cloud doesn't have sync options (there's no option to Import previous settings and preferences), I can't find the actual files in the programs > adobe > Adobe InDesign CC 2017 > Presets > any of the folders do not contain any of my personal settings.

I have to migrate computers from a Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 10 laptop. Both have the latest adobe programs available. My InDesign is super important because I know that I have spent hours getting specific customized settings for mine, and having to reset all these again is going to be time consuming.

There is no sync button at the bottom of my screen like suggested in one of the several sync instructions available. When I try to go to Edit > Migrate previous local settings, it says InDesign could not find any old version of presets and settings to migrate from. But I know that Adobe Cloud is working because all the documents that I've created and placed on the CC drive has all my files on my new laptop. Just not any of my settings. What the hell is going on?

all screenshots provided are the same on the other laptop.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Hi,

Depends on what you want to sync.

If you want to sync your files from one system to another then CC comes into play. You need to place the files at the folder location (as mentioned in the Cretative Cloud) of Win 7 and then those files are synced to cloud.

The option you see in the edit menu, refers to force migrating the preferences from a previous version of InDesign installed on the machine to this version of InDesign. Since you are doing a fresh install of InDesign on Win 10  this option ho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Depends on what you want to sync.

If you want to sync your files from one system to another then CC comes into play. You need to place the files at the folder location (as mentioned in the Cretative Cloud) of Win 7 and then those files are synced to cloud.

The option you see in the edit menu, refers to force migrating the preferences from a previous version of InDesign installed on the machine to this version of InDesign. Since you are doing a fresh install of InDesign on Win 10  this option holds to significance and hence the error message.

If you need to migrate some preferences, all you need to do is to manually copy and paste the preference and cache folder from the older machine to the newer one.

Fyi: i have not done this from one OS version to another. (Win X to Win Y). But it works fine for Win X to Win X. You can surely try

Path of cache and preferences:

cache:C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version x

preferences:C:\[User]\amaarora\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version x

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding.Yes, i want to move my preferences over to my new computer. This is all Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I did look in the files for my preferences and they are not there. I have my preferences names specifically with my name in them. But when I go to look for them, say, under Adobe Create Cloud 2017 > Adobe Indesign CC 2017 > Presets > Workspaces, I only get the generic workspaces and not my own. They definitely exist, as I've been using two main workspaces on my Win7 laptop for a few months now, but they do not seem to exist in the file location. Or anywhere in the Adobe CC folders, as I've tried searching for my preferences elsewhere.

Files have already been backed up. I actually use OneDrive instead of Adobe CC for most of my cloud transferring, though, due to the sensitivity of some of my documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s where mine are:

C:\Users\BobLe\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 12.0\en_US\Workspaces

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be admin privilege. I do not have access to the AppData folder. Since this is a work laptop, they keep things very secure. I'll see if I can corner down an admin to see if we can find my preferences there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try moving the entire preferences folder which should be by the name of Version x.0

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It requires admin privilege. I unfortunately do not have admin privilege.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you’ll have to recreate them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines