• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't ungroup objects in InDesign

Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign that has several photos linked together and it won't let me ungroup them. The option is grayed out. I thought maybe they were pasted from Illustrator or something but if you hover over them in the links panel--they all say that they are all linked back to the links folder. I can't say I've ever come across this before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Hi Adam,

you are right, there is no "remove frame option" for the frame where the contents is copied into.

But there is a high probability that the frame you want to remove contains one single group that itself contains all other objects.

So do the following:

1. Select that group inside the frame

Here is a trick how: Select the frame and hit Shift + Esc

2. Cut the selected group to the clipboard

3. Remove the now empty frame.

4. Do menu Paste in Place

5. Ungroup the group that was pasted in place

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that your group has been copied and pasted into another image frame. If that is the case, you can copy the group out of the extra fram, and then paste it.

Screenshot 2019-08-06 09.40.44.png Screenshot 2019-08-06 09.42.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are right, they are copied inside another frame. double click inside the frame to select the inside frames and you can cut them out for the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems useful, especially in this case (there's a lot of stuff in this particular frame that I need to adjust), that there would be a remove frame option. I'm surprised there is not. What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what you need to adjust, ungrouping or removing from the main frame may not be necessary. The individual items in the group can still be selected separately without removing then from the frame or ungrouping them. Double-click to select the group within the frame, then double-click again on the individual image frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

you are right, there is no "remove frame option" for the frame where the contents is copied into.

But there is a high probability that the frame you want to remove contains one single group that itself contains all other objects.

So do the following:

1. Select that group inside the frame

Here is a trick how: Select the frame and hit Shift + Esc

2. Cut the selected group to the clipboard

3. Remove the now empty frame.

4. Do menu Paste in Place

5. Ungroup the group that was pasted in place

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines