Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot access HP Printer Custom Page Sizes from InDesign MacOS

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I want to print a document to a 6in x 12in sheet directly from InDesign.

From the Print dialog (1st screen shot), I am unable to select Custom, since it is greyed out, and no custom page sizes appear here.

When I try from the (highly discouraged) Page Setup dialog (2nd screen shot), I can select the Manage Custom Sizes... option, and am able to create/delete custom page sizes there, but the custom page sizes are greyed out, and I am unable to select/use them.

Previous versions of these custom sizes (now deleted) used to work correctly, via the Page Setup dialog.

This feels like a MacOS permissions issue, but I can't be sure. This change may be the result of an automatic MacOS and/or InDesign update, but I can't identify which ones. HP Print drivers now seem to be installed automatically by MacOS.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Ok, I made some progress troubleshooting this issue. The printer (HP LaserJet M1536dnf) has been connected to a router by Ethernet cable. While this has been working in the past, it no longer works. BUT, when I connect to it directly with a USB cable, I can select and access custom page sizes. So, I tried attaching the printer to the router via USB cable, and it continues to work as expected. I noticed that, while setting up the printer drivers over USB, different driver names were presented (wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I am able to work with and print with all these custom page sizes from other apps, like Text Edit. Just not in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Generally, If you’re using a printer that accommodates various paper sizes, such as a high-resolution imagesetter, you can specify a custom paper size when you print. InDesign makes the custom option available only if the selected PPD supports custom paper sizes, more information is available here. Having said that, please try Uwe's suggestions and let us know if that helps.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to use and select the custom page sizes I created from other apps, like Text Edit. They act as expected (so the PPD does support custom paper sizes). Only in InDesign (and Illustrator and Photoshop) are they disabled and unusable. Plus it used to work before.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi@Wm0D4D ,

sorry, I have no idea why this is. I'm on Windows 10.

The workaround: Export to PDF and use Acrobat Pro DC or Adobe Reader for printing.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Unfortunately, it generates a PDF with US Letter (default) page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I made some progress troubleshooting this issue. The printer (HP LaserJet M1536dnf) has been connected to a router by Ethernet cable. While this has been working in the past, it no longer works. BUT, when I connect to it directly with a USB cable, I can select and access custom page sizes. So, I tried attaching the printer to the router via USB cable, and it continues to work as expected. I noticed that, while setting up the printer drivers over USB, different driver names were presented (with Hewlett-Packard spelled out, while over ethernet, they started only with HP.)

So, by connecting the printer to the router with a USB cable, I now have my networked printer with custom page sizes back. The issue seems to be related to connecting over Ethernet and to which drivers are presented when setting up the printer.

Thanks for listening and for the suggestions. Perhaps this will be helpful to someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines