• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get background color to export to pdf

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a book cover which will have a background colour. There are several youtubes covering issues with creating a background color whcih I have been through and they all seem so simple, either create a layer or send to back etc. However, I am reduced to experimenting with one word on the document and adding a bckground layer, and whatever I do I cannot get the pdf to show anything other than a white background. Am I missing something obvious? The usual reposnse seem to be that people are using "paper" as the background but if you create a layer then go Window/Color/Color, that option does not appear.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have created a rectangle that covers your page, and set it below you other content? 

If so, is the color you used for the background a spot color? 

With spot colors in Acrobat, you may to change your viewing options in Acrobat. In the Page Display panel of Acrobat preferences, under Page Content and information, try setting the Use Overprint Preview: setting to Always.

If you did not intent to use a spot ink, then redefine your background color as Process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what is a spot color? The color layer is set behind the layer with a word on it.Chaging the acrobat preferecne as you suggest did nto make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share your InDesign file via a file sharing service? A look at the actual file would help us figure out what is going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Who should I send it to?Sent from my Galaxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a link to the IDML and PDF file. Best do it via dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx. As I posted below, the problem seems to have been fixed by deleting and reinstalling indesign and acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using [Paper] and changing the color for [Paper] is absolutely the wrong way.

Why? Because you do a simulation of a paper color only. You do not put color on a background.

Instead:

Draw out a new rectangle on the page.

Use a new fill color for that rectangle. The color you want to see in the background.

Send the rectangle object to the back of the bottom most layer of your document.

Or create a new layer at the bottom of the layer stack and drag that rectangle to that layer.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Same result, just a white background in acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you apply a specific color to the rectangle at bottom of the layer panel? This rectangle has to cover the page including the bleed area.

Did you change in the Swatch Panel the Swatch Paper? Reset it to white except if you use colored paper, than make it the same color as the paper is. The swatch paper appears in Acrobat always as white. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgive me. I cannto find teh swatch panel. If I go Window/Color/Swtaches nothing happens.I am using Window/Color/Color to access colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work with swatches, not with colors only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to my own question, I have reinstalled both indesign and acrobat and I can now get the background colour to appear in the pdf. Thanks to all who posted replies. Now to move on to the next great problem, how to change the colour of font as the techhnique shown in the youtubes, clicking the little T then the big T on the left, does not bring up anything. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work with paragraph & character styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For documents, not for the one-off book cover I was doing. I see you can use the tool in the properties box on the right even though it still seems to be non-functioning on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines